The African and Chinese goose thread!!

Do you keep all your Scovy ducklings jchny? such gorgeous colors they come in. I had 1 chocolate duck and lost her to egg laying problems, I sure do miss her.

That pic of your Chinese with her ducklings is so precious. I should let my geese hatch some Muscovy's maybe then they would like ducks.
hmm.png
Oh am so sorry to hear. We sell to folks we know, family and just locally. I keep them at least a week or so to be sure they are healthy. Friends from the city love them, Indy allows some poultry kept in the city and they aren't a noise problem like mallard types can be.
I do keep some for table birds, but am not the person doing the "deed". They are just too sweet, can't face it yet. DH or nephew usually "does it" then I do the rest. My adults are all pets, and I just adore them.
I have to take updated pics of Mama goose and the scovy babies lol! Its just so funny!

Oh am so sorry to hear. We sell to folks we know, family and just locally. I keep them at least a week or so to be sure they are healthy. Friends from the city love them, Indy allows some poultry kept in the city and they aren't a noise problem like mallard types can be.
I do keep some for table birds, but am not the person doing the "deed". They are just too sweet, can't face it yet. DH or nephew usually "does it" then I do the rest. My adults are all pets, and I just adore them.
I have to take updated pics of Mama goose and the scovy babies lol! Its just so funny!
Please do I'd love to see updated of mama goose and ducklings.

This is not a goose question, but I figure y'all have the answer. I have a duck getting angel wing. It free ranges and eats off the land. I feed the entire flock of chickens, geese, and ducks 16% layer pellets in the evenings. I have raised several ducks this year just like this one and more in the past and never had a problem like this. She is 6-8 weeks old. My geese both have angle wing, but I didn't raise them. I throw out kitchen scraps, but there isn't enough bread and stuff that should be a problem. Frankly I doubt she gets much of that with the rest of the flock scarfing it up. What could be causing this? what should I do?

Quote: Lovely goose! At first glance I am thinking gander, but hard to judge without other geese around. That's a very long neck and thick legs for a goose.

This is not a goose question, but I figure y'all have the answer. I have a duck getting angel wing. It free ranges and eats off the land. I feed the entire flock of chickens, geese, and ducks 16% layer pellets in the evenings. I have raised several ducks this year just like this one and more in the past and never had a problem like this. She is 6-8 weeks old. My geese both have angle wing, but I didn't raise them. I throw out kitchen scraps, but there isn't enough bread and stuff that should be a problem. Frankly I doubt she gets much of that with the rest of the flock scarfing it up. What could be causing this? what should I do?
I have read too much protein, but honestly I don't think thats the case here. I have had 1 angel wing in my geese, out of a few hundred gosling hatched. More in ducks, just a few maybe 4 total. Best remedy is vet wrap, do a few wraps on the body only, then wrap the complete wing to the body. Usually this will hold long enough that the wing straightens out. I have had good success with an adult angel wing by waiting until moult, and doing the wrap when new feathers are coming in. Dont let them swim while the wing is wrapped.

I'm gonna say female because of the devolping egg pouch and the bump isn't very pronouced like a ganders would be
fl.gif
Maybe not at 6-8 weeks old though??it's alot easier if there are more than one for comparison. for me anyway,although my young gander had us all fooled till breeding season came around.

Someone (goose wise) Is laying! I have found 4 eggs this week, and you betcha I set them tonight
big_smile.png
!
This is really odd, usually my geese are done in June. none of the girls are young, all are at least 18 months or older. Am thinking about borrowing a game camera so I know which girl it is. I have 7 goose (and 3 ganders), so its tough to tell who it is. Am really doubting they will be fertile.

Someone (goose wise) Is laying! I have found 4 eggs this week, and you betcha I set them tonight
big_smile.png
!
This is really odd, usually my geese are done in June. none of the girls are young, all are at least 18 months or older. Am thinking about borrowing a game camera so I know which girl it is. I have 7 goose (and 3 ganders), so its tough to tell who it is. Am really doubting they will be fertile.
No mating but laying, we'll blame it on the weather.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom