THE all purpose chicken

I think a Dominique fits your bill. They're dual purpose. Mine lays nearly every day and she's got the best common sense and foraging skills out of all of them.

Thank you guys so much! I think for our first year we may get a variety and see what we like, then keep those ones. Maybe a few Orpingtons, a few Australorps, and a few Dominikers.

I think that's what I'll try, and even if we end up with a few we like, we can keep them.

We got black, splash and blue Orpingtons last year and they are amazing. It went down to minus 26 C here in Ontario and they came through it like it was a picnic. No additional heat or lights or anything. They are very large and beautiful and are laying almost everyday. They are very friendly w/ enough attention (the dog used to lick them and they didn't mind); we love them.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Red Ranger. I know McMurray Hatchery has it. Not sure if others have it or may call it something different. It grows big and it grows quickly and it is robust. Not like the disgusting CXR. Lays big eggs, too. However, as an egg layers it is not in the top tier but rather the next tier for prolific.

In my book,for the most part broodiness isn't a desirable trait. One or two per flock is likely to be plenty or more than plenty. I have had hens that would lay enough to set and then that was it for egg production. Also, in my situation they would tend to hide a nest and suprise me in the fall with a batch of chicks. I guess it all depends on whether you want eggs or not. I try to steer clear of breeds that are reputational for broodiness. I would rather have the eggs.

Rhode Island Reds are hard to beat. I keep trying other breeds, but somehow the top hens seem to be the RIR. Not great for carcass though.

Buff Orpingtons get my vote. I've had Sex Link Red Stars, New Jersey Giants, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorps, and the sweet big gentle smart beautiful Buff Orpingtons out lay all the others, plus they have a lovely temperament. My Grand Dame of the coop was named Emma, she loved potato chips, hated anyone with a cigarette and if she saw anyone smoking she'd jump up, take the cigarette and race away with it.

Back
Top Bottom