The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
Even if I am starting out with a depth of darkness handicap...
Im just really happy to finally have some birds in the game!
big_smile.png

and soon enough i will hatch my own jet black chicks to make emprovements and sales!
which will make my dear patient wife much more happy about this whole venture...
That's the spirit I like to see!

Culling also doesn't have to mean killing, just means removing them from your breeding flock. So you can cull a hen by taking her from your breeding flock and putting her in your just-for-eggs flock, if you have one. I do, and it consists mostly of hens that have been culled out of my other breeding flocks. This is probably what I'll do with extra cemani hens. The roosters will most likely be dinner. No reason to kill little ones and waste the eggs and meat if you have something else you can do with them!

No reason to kill little ones and waste the eggs and meat if you have something else you can do with them!

If that's one's desire then fine but also no reason to grow out and expend money to feed what from the get-go you know won't be keeping when you can save the time, space and funds for better possibilities that will cost the same when it comes to culling them at the end. Pullets are one thing but roosters are a whole different ball game. I grow out a lot of my boys and cull then several times from just at hatch to ???? . Sometimes I can find them a home most times they just end up as fodder for dinner for something or someone. I think culling hard will be a necessary 'evil' for this breed to be successful here in the US. It'll be more work than the Legbars I have without a doubt and those birds are still a work in progress, even over in Great Britain. But should be a fun ride.

If that's one's desire then fine but also no reason to grow out and expend money to feed what from the get-go you know won't be keeping when you can save the time, space and funds for better possibilities that will cost the same when it comes to culling them at the end. Pullets are one thing but roosters are a whole different ball game. I grow out a lot of my boys and cull then several times from just at hatch to ???? . Sometimes I can find them a home most times they just end up as fodder for dinner for something or someone.  I think culling hard will be a necessary 'evil' for this breed to be successful here in the US. It'll be more work than the Legbars I have without a doubt and those birds are still a work in progress, even over in Great Britain. But should be a fun ride.

Yep, that's why I said if you have something else you can do with them. I know everyone isn't going to be able to keep the chicks, and that's fine. I was just pointing out that you can cull a bird without killing it - many people think the two are the same thing.

I grow all cockerels out until 5 or 6 months. Then I judge them on quality. Then I will cull and process (have a nice lady at a farm process for me). But that's probably why I spend over $240 a month on poultry feed. If I can bring myself to cull at hatch, I would probably be able to spend a lot less. But that definitely brings up the point. Very few will make money breeding Ayam Cemani. Well, the scammers will make money. Everyone else, probably not.

HEY GUYS!

Saturday, i picked up second batch of random hatching eggs for the my incubation education.
The first batch started last week, so I am now learning to stagger hatch...
(1st batch had 4 non fertalized eggs at 7 day candle = down to 8 eggs = so far still a perfect %)

While picking them up, I also scored 2 "pheasant silkie chicks" for $6...

so, now i found myself in a rush to build a brooder to keep them!

Which i did for only $30

notice that i hard wired a demmer switch into the dome light (150 watt bulb) so I can control the heat...
Pretty cool!

Last edited:
Hey guys, can I ask those who may have gotten birds from wolfwhyte(Micheal). Does your bird have the black everything or are they lacking the black mouth/tongue? I've asked him and he told me that 2-3 of 100''s hatched will have a perfect all black everything, the rest varies in the degree of blackness they have on their body.

Pics below is the male chick I got from him last week

of course this one lacks the all black everything(mouth/tongue),but the rest fits the bill.

I haven't actually checked mine yet - I was working on gaining their trust because the ones I got from him were very skittish. I'll check and report back. One of my roosters is getting the most beautiful black comb.

I haven't actually checked mine yet - I was working on gaining their trust because the ones I got from him were very skittish. I'll check and report back. One of my roosters is getting the most beautiful black comb.
Ok, thanks and for the skittish behavior, if you put them with other chicks that are more calm they will adjust better. I put mine with the Ameraucuana chicks, and he has calm down way more than when I first got him last week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom