The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Pics
Randy: One day in late fall I will need to buy or trade a rooster with/from you...

Bravo on your hatch!

Well done!!!

I will for sure have plenty of roosters by then I'm sure, which will consist of 3 lines or so, Toni's, GFF, and my own lines which will be a cross of the two lines. Have another line that I may consider trying, but thinking about it at the moment to see if I want to start it this year or wait until next year, since I have so much going on right now with these.

Day 21 and I have a little Toni-Marie chick in the bator.
jumpy.gif
May be the only one to hatch but I'll take it! Now to hope it stays healthy and grow out. Will wait until Saturday to open the bator in case anything else wants to hatch.
wee.gif

What is your post hatching culling process?

I was thinking about using the process using baking soda and vineger a small open container, togeather with the chick inside a large sealed tupperware tub...
This process is said to be the kindest:
Taking only 3 seconds to unconciousness and 10 seconds to cull...

The easiest on the chick and hardest on the keeper is a quick snip of the neck with a pair of scissors. That's big talk from me, because I can't do that either.

You can also use your same plan of a small tub, but put in a rag soaked with a little brake fluid. It's what we used to use to cull small rabbits and guinea pigs.

While picking them up, I also scored 2 "pheasant silkie chicks" for $6...

By pheasant, did they mean partridge? Do they have feathered legs? They don't really look like silkie chicks.

By pheasant, did they mean partridge?  Do they have feathered legs?  They don't really look like silkie chicks.

I think they meant patridge silkie chicks, which is a color of silkie. They do look like silkies and they have purple skin and purple beaks. Probably the guy breeding them just doesn't know the real name of the color :)

Oh, I forgot, Randy, congrats on the chicks!

Last edited:
Quote:
I started with 12 - tossed 2 after day 3. One slipped from my hand and hit the turner and cracked so I had heard about super glue so I tried that and it seemed to work as it kept developing. Tossed another 3 prior to lock down so 6 went in but I think at least 2 were going to be duds so thinking I may have had only 4 viable. Of the 6 in there 1 is the glued cracked egg so I'm hoping for 3. Had another one hatch so I have 2 chicks in there now - would be nice if they were a pair. Hoping for 1 more.....These were shipped eggs and I had my humidity drop to the 40's on day 20 so had to boost it back up to the 60's. Am happy if only 2 is what I get out of this I was dreading just having one.

I started with 12 - tossed 2 after day 3. One slipped from my hand and hit the turner and cracked so I had heard about super glue so I tried that and it seemed to work as it kept developing. Tossed another 3 prior to lock down so 6 went in but I think at least 2 were going to be duds so thinking I may have had only 4 viable. Of the 6 in there 1 is the glued cracked egg so I'm hoping for 3. Had another one hatch so I have 2 chicks in there now - would be nice if they were a pair. Hoping for 1 more.....These were shipped eggs and I had my humidity drop to the 40's on day 20 so had to boost it back up to the 60's. Am happy if only 2 is what I get out of this I was dreading just having one.

Thank you! I am curious because I just received 12 eggs from Toni. I am keeping my fingers crossed. :D I hope your other little one hatches.

Back
Top Bottom