The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I don't know if you guys have the same situation, but I have found that my Cemanis are really flighty and they are also just as fast...but thankfully also "chicken stupid" as usual...

out in the open, if they are paying attention to you, which they almost always are, you will never get closer than 10 feet from them.

I have to use two sticks, like the guy at the airport who parks jets.

It takes practice but by widely flanking them (walking around them) and waiving the sticks in each hand I can successfully "herd" them to where I want them to go about 90% of the time...

Also on a side note:

I have noticed that they can see in near darkness, unlike all my other chicken breeds...
All my other birds will be well and away up in the coop as the sun sets... but not my cemani...
They are still out in the closed run pecking and scratching away in the dark.
Clearly looking at me like "What's wrong with you? ignorant human...All chickens can see in the dark?"

They only go up into the coop an hour or so after total darkness falls.

I suppose both of these traits are because they are recently from the Jungle...
but that is just conjecture on my part.

Have you guys noticed this as well?

My two newest chicks are actually really friendly, although that could be because I handled them a bunch when they were newly hatched. They will actually fly up and perch on the edge of the brooder to say hello to me and hang out while I am doing brooder chores, and run over to my hand as soon as I put it in the brooder. Full of personality, those two. Might both be pullets, since I see no comb development or anything on either of them, but they are only five weeks old, so we shall see.

Also, I think you and I are chatting on another forum too :)

My little Cemani crosses are super friendly. I've noticed that they're pretty much silent, rarely ever peep. That's unlike my past experiences with chicks. They're hanging out in a brooder with some bantams that I hatched for a good friend of mine. The bantams are much more flighty and loud in comparison.

Stark can already fly out of the brooder... gave me a heart attack when I came home last night. I searched the entire brooder room to find him content just hanging out under the treadmill. His buddy Lannister has already started adopting the same habit. They follow me around and just quietly watch me mess around with my incubators. I have really curly hair that they seem to like to get tangled up in, too.

Great stories shared about your Cemani babies. Mine aren't pure (I will have pures soon hopefully), but I am going to test out their vision tonight. ^_^

Cemani's can be as friendly and tame as any other breed if you work with them. If you don't spend much time hand feeding and holding them and so on, then they will be shy, wild and not let you near them. My Cemani roosters are bigger baby's than the hens. I give mine uncooked oatmeal as a treat and if they want it, they must come up to me to eat it out of my hands.

My 2nd generation... after 85% culling...
4 months old... so far... still black...

Hmmm, check out the fella in the back... is that "silvering" on his neck and chest?
If so... Its cull time for him...

Last edited:
They are GORGEOUS
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom