The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Yes, we've found this true also. So...can we infer from this that something about concentrated FM genes may be bad for their health? If so...I sort of compare it to breeding dogs that can only deliver puppies surgically (English Bulldogs) and cats that frankly can't breathe normally (some Persian types). We want birds that meet a standard we have created, but I myself would far rather have chicks that hatch with white wingtips and are vigorous, than solid black ones that never make it out of the egg, or die within days. I'm just saying. If crossing bloodlines creates more vigor (I wouldn't know - still looking for a roo of a different bloodline), then the more of that, the better.

My darkest chicks are the smallest, but I have experienced no greater mortality with them, and they catch up in size to their hatch mates within a couple weeks. I need to band some of them so I can compare them as adults.

VERY interesting! My darkest chick is also the smallest. She hatched very LATE and had a rough first day: seemed weak, couldn't hold herself upright. She kept tipping over onto her back for awhile, longer than I have ever seen. I also took her little shoes off today after having to straighten her toes. Luckily, she's doing much better now (although, still quite runty) but interesting points about breeding. I wish I could find it, but I watched a short clip the other day on the results of selective dog breeding (ex: where the flopping ears came from, etc). Mine just seems to need extra TLC, but that's not a problem. I love the little babies.

I'm raising quail in another brooder, for meat and eggs. Those chicks seem dumber than rocks.
roll.png

Last edited:
The dumbest birds I ever had were wheaten Ameraucanas. I had to show those chicks the water was several times a day. Each time they acted like they hadn't had a drink for days. After they sated their thirst, they totally forgot either where the water was or how to drink, I'm not sure which. I lost quite a few to dehydration. This happened with two sets of hatching eggs from different breeders. I don't have wheaten Ameraucanas anymore.

I have svarts from gff and ac chicks of gff roo over bean line and gff hens. 1 ac hatched this morning with more set
:) to hatch today and 10 days from now.

The svarts from gff that came in have blue earlobes!!! Not what I had expected for the money spent on a juvenile pair.

I added 5 ccl pullets to my flocks that I am goingto work on a fibro sbel project :) while my other fibro sbel project is my bean line roo over my er.

Four boxes ready with 1 cut apple in each for hunger and thirst.

next toss the hounds into their kennel incase of chicken escape. (Which did happen)
wash their feet, oil their combs, and put them in their boxes.

And ready to go....

These are my new birds! For anyone who's interested, the birds are beautiful. Much darker than in the pictures, and pretty sweet considering they just came out of a box! HatcheryHive threw in an extra bird for a discounted price, as he didn't want to cull the poor thing. Not a perfect specimen, but the most noticeable faults were in the ears with mulberry in the comb.

I'm super stoked because my breeding program just got a huge bump in genetics... Successfully bringing together TM, GFF, and Michael Bean in one pen, with GFF being the predominant gene pool.

Hooray!

This is the pair that produced that striped chick. Photos were taken this morning, 4/11/2015.
They are gorgeous! I can't wait till my yard's not a mud pit and it's actually sunny out so I can get a nice picture of my birds out in the sunshine.

This hen has a very small amount of color leakage under her chin. I'll be culling this hen as soon as a have another pullet to replace her. As long as I'm getting some good chicks from her it's worth the effort to hatch all her eggs and grow them out looking for those keepers. I want to put the rooster on another lady to see what he produces. I'm not ready to let him go yet.

Back
Top Bottom