The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I think there are two all black, one black with a white belly and the rest are chipmunks. The eBay seller replied to me:
Dear *bat-girl*,

Sounds like wild types. Stripes are wild types. The wild type is the original color form of Cemani. They are recessive so if you breed them back to black partner you will get black offspring. 

- bobfarm14

I have since talked to someone that hatched out 4 eggs- got 3 blacks and a chipmunk. Why doesn't bobfarm14 mention this anywhere on their page??

Oh no you ordered from bobfarm :( If you read back in this thread a bit you'll see what we all think of that seller. The short of it is that his pictures are edited. He probably doesn't have any real purebred cemanis. He doesn't mention it because he's a scammer.

Last edited:
I think I forgot to post this here - here is the lovely cock that cjwaldon was kind enough to sell to me. He's a beauty. He's got some mulberry in his comb so he'll be replaced with his own offspring once I hatch one that has no mulberry. All the hens have perfect dark combs so they should make some good chicks together. Also please excuse the clutter in the background - I took this on official after-winter clean up day and stuff got thrown everywhere as I was tidying.

Oh bummer. My husband bought them to surprise me for my birthday, don't know if he even considered that there would be egg scammers out there. Oh well, they are cuties anyway... really, really expensive cuties :p I'm assuming there is no legal action we can take w/ eBay to get our money back, it sounds like folks have been through this before. I'm thankful to know this going forward- the ayam cemanis are a gorgeous breed and I wouldn't want to unknowingly undermine them with breeding poor stock.

Oh bummer. My husband bought them to surprise me for my birthday, don't know if he even considered that there would be egg scammers out there. Oh well, they are cuties anyway... really, really expensive cuties :p I'm assuming there is no legal action we can take w/ eBay to get our money back, it sounds like folks have been through this before. I'm thankful to know this going forward- the ayam cemanis are a gorgeous breed and I wouldn't want to unknowingly undermine them with breeding poor stock.

You could try to open a claim with Paypal if the time isn't passed for that. Otherwise I'm not sure you have much recourse.

You can open a claim via Ebay. "Item not as described" claim.

Support your claim with photos of the chicks.

You should be able to get your money back.

Hmmm, this has been most informative. My husband bought 12 hatching eggs on Ebay- 9 hatched but there are several "chipmunk" striped ones in the bunch...

I am curious as to how that silvery striped chick (upper right corner) will develop. I really like its coloring. I've seen a lot of brownish chipmunk chicks but not that silvery color.

Those striped chicks look like brown leghorn chicks, almost.
1f621.png

Hey there, that's exactly what our awesome extension agent said. He said (if I remember correctly) that the seller probably has a cemani male and breeds to partridge leghorns- you'd get some all black babies in various generations and then the chipmunks... and you'd get a lot more eggs than if you were actually breeding pure cemanis... and it makes the seller's comment that if I breed the "wild type" back to a black bird, I'll get (some) black babies. But I think the seller is being disingenuous in the use of "wild type" in this situation. I opened a complaint on eBay, we'll see how it goes. Thank you all so much- I'd be happy open a "not cemani" thread and post pictures of how they grow. Thanks again.

Hey there, that's exactly what our awesome extension agent said. He said (if I remember correctly) that the seller probably has a cemani male and breeds to partridge leghorns- you'd get some all black babies in various generations and then the chipmunks... and you'd get a lot more eggs than if you were actually breeding pure cemanis... and it makes the seller's comment that if I breed the "wild type" back to a black bird, I'll get (some) black babies. But I think the seller is being disingenuous in the use of "wild type" in this situation. I opened a complaint on eBay, we'll see how it goes. Thank you all so much- I'd be happy open a "not cemani" thread and post pictures of how they grow. Thanks again.

We did find some pictures of his adult male that he posts pictures of claiming it's cemani without it being touched up - I think it's somewhere back in this thread. I can try to dig it up for you, it might give you a clue what your babies will look like when they grow up :)

Edit: Found it for you. Here's the rooster he uses in his eBay ads without all the touching up. Might tell you what your babies will look like. http://www.rarebreedauctions.com/auction_details.php?auction_id=118613

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom