The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

What is the difference between your selling eggs and custom hatches of your eggs?  I don't understand the difference. 

I think he's said before that he hatches them for the person, then only gives them the best chicks out of the hatch and culls the rest.

I have my first two cemani chicks from my own eggs internally pipped! Can't wait to see what these hens and the cock are throwing together.

Yup that's the difference... if you order 5, I hatch out 50-100. I cull out all but the top 10. They wait 4-5 weeks, so you can see them develope, look at photos and pick out your 5... That's how it's done.

By the way, here are my extra rooster pictures. (Note: my cell phone over exaggerates red - Big time)

the one for sale is the small on on the right.

My last two customers both commented that their birds were much darker on person, than in the photos...

Last edited:
Yup that's the difference... if you order 5, I hatch out 50-100. I cull out all but the top 10. They wait 4-5 weeks, so you can see them develope, look at photos and pick out your 5... That's how it's done.

Thanks for the explanation. That seems like a great service. How much would the resulting birds be or would it depend on if the stock had been GFF, Mike smith etc?

Would the cost be comparable to say getting chicks directly from GFF?, more? less?

Last edited:
Because the 3rd Gen will be the most Genetically Diverse pure Cemani in the USA...
I plan to charge just under GFF prices for their chicks...

I had two chicks hatch today, pure Tonie Marie lines. One is a definite cull, will grow it out to use for eggs or dinner. The other looks like it might be promising, I'll have to grow it out and see.

Would you say that they are based largely on the Mike Smith birds (first 2 gens at least)?

It will be interesting to see how they look.
yes, you are correct for Gen 1 and Gen 2
and they are cleaning up nicely...

Gen 3 will be a 4 way mix of GFF, TM, Mike, and Smith...

Yes, how they LOOK will be the key...
"the proof will be in the pudding"

Last edited:
yes, you are correct for Gen 1 and Gen 2
and they are cleaning up nicely...
Not to sound like a drag, but just because you hatched out some good chicks from your f1 & f2, doesn't mean that Mike Bean's birds are cleaning up nicely enough yet to be on the same playing field as the other lines....................when you're into f4 and beyond and they can produce consistently 2 copy offspring or at least the majority of the chicks hatched out are and not just a few out of say 50-60 chicks hatched....................

On a side note, female chicks always express FM better than their male counter part, even if they are both single copy of FM

Notice the 2 sister pullets expresses FM better than their brother,? (they are 2 copies of FM though)

he is mulberry in the ear lobes and wattles

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom