The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Guys...

The Post office Stops taking LIVE mail on N0V 10th until spring!

So, our last birdie mail out day is Monday Nov 9th...
If you want your Cemani before Christmas, or after, Get your birds ordered this week!

PM Me SOON if you want some great Cemanis for a great deal.

Do you have a link with this information?
I ship almost weekly and my Post Office hasn't told me a thing about bans on live mail in the future.

I believe it is in a new NC law which closes all auctions and i suppose mail too, and lasts 3 months each year... They seem paranoid about the bird flu...

I know all the bird shows and all the auctions shutdown around then... perhaps mail too?

All I know is when you input my NC Zip code into the USPS website package cost estimator with the live animals box checked, it shows All dates crossed off after the 10th of November and December dates won't even display...

Try it...
Input 27520 as "from"

Last edited:
I believe it is in a new NC law which closes all auctions and i suppose mail too, and lasts 3 months each year... They seem paranoid about the bird flu...

I know all the bird shows and all the auctions shutdown around then... perhaps mail too?

All I know is when you input my NC Zip code into the USPS website package cost estimator with the live animals box checked, it shows All dates crossed off after the 10th of November and December dates won't even display...

Try it...
Input 27520 as "from"

That has nothing to do with shipping lives. You just can't print labels that far in advance, regardless of what you're shipping or zip codes. USPS wants you to print now, ship now.

I don't know of a better place to ask. I won some cemani chicks from an online auction. While waiting for the chicks to ship I did some reading on the breed and short american history and got extremely nervous about the sellers credibility. There's a lot of back and forth about how much lightness is acceptable but I think I was just plain ripped off. Supposedly GFF line and a hybrid of some sort from the toni marie line. I couldn't get clear shots of the mouths but some are solid black and other have yellow. I was told the feet may not be perfect and the feathers will come back darker.... I need some advice asap, I've contacted the seller but I don't think I'm going to get an acceptable response. I should also note one chick is extremely spraddle legged and another was missing much of the down and it's eyes were sealed shut. I doubt any respectable breeder would sell chicks of this quality. I'm hoping I'm wrong in which case an apology is due.

I'd say it's possible that they are purebreds - but not ones I'd consider breeder quality, at least on the ones who have yellow toes and white toenails. I do get some with some yellow on the tips of their toes out of my birds but they are culled from the breeding flock and not anything I would breed. I certainly wouldn't sell them to others for breeding purposes.

Some of my culls that hatched with some yellow on the toes and a white wing feather actually had the toes darken up to black and molted out the white feather to become totally black, but I still would never breed them. Yours might get darker as they age, but probably shouldn't be considered candidates for a breeding group.

I highly doubt I will be breeding these for any purposes. I'm not comfortable with breeding anything with a murky gene pool, I still don't know much about their genetics but I know a lot of people heavily cull. I just want a couple to add some interesting colors, maybe a pair if I felt like expanding. Eight is too many for me but I don't know exactly how to move them. I know I've already lost money on them. I have no intention of telling people these are pure if I have no clue. I'm told the toes and mouth will darken but if this is the case I don't see why so many people toss them instead of waiting to see how they develop. I've also read if there's anything other than black it's not pure but then I hear 5% are black with white. Sorry for so many questions there's just a lot of misconceptions surrounding this breed and I'm trying to figure out what "standard" is.

Back
Top Bottom