The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

If my AC is getting purple and gold sheening in some of her feathers. Is that something that will change with her adult plumage coming in? She's 8 weeks old. I don't plan on showing her or breeding her or anything (she's the only one I've got anyway) I just want to make sure she's healthy and I've heard that not having green sheen means something is wrong with the feather structure?

If my AC is getting purple and gold sheening in some of her feathers. Is that something that will change with her adult plumage coming in? She's 8 weeks old. I don't plan on showing her or breeding her or anything (she's the only one I've got anyway) I just want to make sure she's healthy and I've heard that not having green sheen means something is wrong with the feather structure?

Do you have a picture of the gold sheen? I've actually never seen that before. As for not having green sheen, I've never heard of that meaning that there's something wrong with the feathers. I'm pretty sure it's just genetic.

Do you have a picture of the gold sheen? I've actually never seen that before. As for not having green sheen, I've never heard of that meaning that there's something wrong with the feathers. I'm pretty sure it's just genetic.

It's really quite pretty, I just want to make sure that if it means she's not getting a good diet or something like that then I can fix it. She's on start and grow crumbles right now. She's got green, blue, gold, and purple bands on her wings.

That is pretty - does it stay gold like that all the time or is it truly a sheen and only shows up when it catches the light?

That is pretty - does it stay gold like that all the time or is it truly a sheen and only shows up when it catches the light?

It's a sheen. The feathers are black until they catch the light.

Cool! Well it's certainly pretty. I've never seen a banded sheen like that. I'm not sure that it would be a desired trait if you were to breed but it does look nice.

It's really quite pretty, I just want to make sure that if it means she's not getting a good diet or something like that then I can fix it. She's on start and grow crumbles right now. She's got green, blue, gold, and purple bands on her wings.
That color banding is really beautiful! It could be diet related or the stress of being an 8 week old chick. The feathers look healthy, tho, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Cool! Well it's certainly pretty. I've never seen a banded sheen like that. I'm not sure that it would be a desired trait if you were to breed but it does look nice.

That color banding is really beautiful! It could be diet related or the stress of being an 8 week old chick. The feathers look healthy, tho, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks you two. It really is quite stunning. It looks like an oil slick in the sun. Maybe she will stay this way.

I would probably call that sheen 'leakage'. It might not be, but not sure what else to call it. I have 2 hens that were all black for their first year now have a feather or 2 with color on them (I'm sure I'd find more if I really looked). At first I thought it was dirt or something, but upon close examination it was sort of like what you have, only not the same color. It will be interesting to see what your girl looks like when she is older.

Back
Top Bottom