The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

Very true, if it were bacteria it would be very strange that it showed up in only one breed, and showed up in every single shell, but did not show up in any shell of the other breed. I think I will take an egg shell to my vet and have him take a peak. I'm inclined to say it's not bacteria given these findings, but a vet would be able to say for sure upon seeing a shell, I think.

Exactly, Pyxis... and that's why I did check every single one... and you are correct, every AC had them but not a single Araucana did...

Again, I will stress and keep repeating, I don't give credit for it proving a claim that an AC is 'PURE' but a curiosity that may be connected to the fibromelanism...

My next thing to see, once my girls start laying, is to compare the more spotted shells with the amount of fibro expressed in the chicks that hatch from them... would be curious to see if there's an correlation in more spots and deeper fibro... :confused:

And I would be very interested in what your vet can figure out... please keep us posted... :)

THE EGG IN MY PICTURE IS FROM A SVART HONA

I have hatched well over a thousand fibro eggs and other eggs. N I have never seen this before. It also doesn't matter about breed type bc of the fact that every pen is different every breed is different there r many other factors. Maybe that type of bird requires different environments to produce an egg without black spots. N maybe we should pay more attention to what professionals say n change. Maybe our environment is not good, maybe we need to man up and be like yep that is an option that I provide a less then quality environment. And maybe I will improve. Doesn't make sense that I only hatched out two eggs that were pure when I hatch the numbers I do. What makes sense is that something is wrong with that type of breed under the same conditions as others. Would kind of go with what I have been saying the cemani is weak.

Nobody has to listen to the guy I mean I'm sure I wouldn't listen to a guy that is with penn state university and all the other poultry credentials he has. . lol I'm kidding I am going to listen. N I'm going to improve. I also ask him if this could be the breed that they have this trait or with fibromelenistic breeds. Waiting for his response. I'm sure u could call a university and have them look at it. Learn to be open to the fact that u can make mistakes. Nobody hatches perfect birds and has run across a bird that has a defect. Quit lying to ourselves and everyone else

No need for yelling, just trying to have a discussion...

Birdman, I know that was your svart hona... and I stressed that I did not think the spots indicated a 'pure' bird... but I can't comment on svart hona eggs as I don't have that breed at all... all I can observe is what my Cemani eggs looked like after hatching as well as my other breeds...

Also, I am not saying to not listen to a professional, but he is making an observation based solely on a pic of an egg... if the pic was all I saw, I would be inclined to think there was something wrong as well... like bacterial or mold...

But... I have not lost a single chick out of my own hatches and their eggs had those spots... none of them were weak or poorly either... so bacteria just doesn't make sense to me as I would expect to see some sort of issue with at least one chick if they were contaminated with a bacteria...

I am interested in hearing what a professional thinks with the shell in hand and with all the surrounding info on the chicks health as well...

I am just curious if it is connected to fibro, as another member posted a pic that showed the spots in Hmong, if I recall correctly, as well...

I have an egg swap scheduled in spring with @Pyxis and @WalnutHill if she is interested...

I would like for us to work out an experiment on the shells, expression of fibro in chicks and frequency of the spots in the shells... I also want to include some control eggs from different breeds for additional comparison... if ya'll are willing?

Phoreda started with birds from my line and some from maranfarmer's line. Has she moved to Canada? Last I knew she was in NY.

Hey Pyxis. I'm still in NY, lol. I found that it's not too complicated to ship eggs to Canada. Especially when Ag & Markets already comes out once a year for NPIP certification. Just a couple extra tests, a vet visit, and a health certificate.

Hey Pyxis. I'm still in NY, lol. I found that it's not too complicated to ship eggs to Canada. Especially when Ag & Markets already comes out once a year for NPIP certification. Just a couple extra tests, a vet visit, and a health certificate.

Cool! I would have thought it'd be a ton of money. You coming to Chickenstock this year?

Cool! I would have thought it'd be a ton of money. You coming to Chickenstock this year?

That's my plan
1f601.png

I would like for us to work out an experiment on the shells, expression of fibro in chicks and frequency of the spots in the shells... I also want to include some control eggs from different breeds for additional comparison... if ya'll are willing?

I can definitely get behind this experiment and am willing to give it a go to see what comes of it.

On crossing. Fibro hen. No Fibro roo ends up with 50/50 Fibro and majority rooster here with what I have had happen. I wanna try to make a rose comb Fibro :oops: I have 4 crosses with walnut combs, 2 hens 2 roosters.

Oh yeah and I do believe he works at the university in the department of animal science. I also sent him some other concerns people have about the spots and what they might mean. I also told him to get more in depth or provide something other then just his word on y he believes that it is a bacteria issue. And if any other professionals make the same prediction I'm going to have them do the same. Be back in a crack of an egg. Or in a black spot in an egg. Lol.

I really wish just one person with black dots would just say ok. I'll tighten up my cleaning and disinfecting operation. It's weird to think that people want to breed the best and make money on this expensive bird. However some might wanna keep on breeding black dots and what happens if it is mold or bacteria what do u say to ur customers. Oh sorry the egg that the bird came from was from a mold bacteria filled egg.

Also would like to know how many people on here have actual legal import documents from the breeders they got from out of state. I do. And the dnr got involved to make sure I did it right and legal. That's y I never sold any fibro birds. I give them away for free. Maybe this guy and myself are wrong. But if we're not. All I know if everyone that had dots didn't clean their hatchers/incubators then we are entirely on a different level of breeding.

Back
Top Bottom