The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

why don't people want to make white cemani

Because the translation of Ayam Cemani is Total Black Chicken. If it's white, then it's not black.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
There is now a proposed SOP, which calls for an all black bird. The attraction/challenge to this breed is the all black coloring. There are already Dutch, British and Indonesian standards calling for an all black bird. So...for it to be an Ayam Cemani, it should be all black. I also think the color variations are beautiful, but they shouldnt be marketed as standard AC.

There is now a proposed SOP, which calls for an all black bird.  The attraction/challenge to this breed is the all black coloring.  There are already Dutch, British and Indonesian standards calling for an all black bird.     So...for it to be an Ayam Cemani, it should be all black.   I also think the color variations are beautiful, but they shouldnt be marketed as standard AC.  

I agree. As another example, I've got a bird that could very nearly pass as a purebred AC. The only tell is that her comb is a little funky. She's actually a cross that lays green eggs. She throws offspring as dark as real AC chicks when she's bred back to an AC rooster and they too lay green eggs and they have single combs and honestly, you'd never know they were third gen mixes aside from the egg color. But that doesn't make them ACs, and I'd never put them in my breeding flock and call them ACs and sell their offspring or eggs to others as ACs. Other people might do so and that's where you'd get people selling green egg laying mixes to others thinking they have ACs because the person they bought them from told them that they were pure ACs and they've taken their word for it.

Pardon the long spiel, I just had a person PMing me that their ACs were laying green eggs and wanted to know if that was normal and I had to tell that poor person that it was not so I wanted to share this.

I'm so excited. I think I have my firsts ayam cemany. A few hours old. Yeyyy

Congrats!

I would recommend toe punching instead of zip ties. A lot better in my opinion. I used to use zip ties. That's a lot of rebanding. I love the new toe punch. Soon to ad leg bands and wing bands. Makes for precise tracking of where the birds come from and u can do wing and toe as soon as out of the hatcher. Just saying. Would be wise for anyone using zip ties to upgrade.

I would recommend toe punching instead of zip ties. A lot better in my opinion. I used to use zip ties. That's a lot of rebanding. I love the new toe punch. Soon to ad leg bands and wing bands. Makes for precise tracking of where the birds come from and u can do wing and toe as soon as out of the hatcher. Just saying. Would be wise for anyone using zip ties to upgrade.
I was hatching Ayam Cemani and fibro mixes in pedigree bags and zipped them quickly before moving to the brooder. I do use toe punches, as well as digit beads for the zip ties so I can get exceptionally detailed tracking, but rebanding two chicks as they grow isn't too arduous. Those tiny webs are too tiny right now for my toe punch, I want to wait a little until I have a chance of actually punching mid web.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom