The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

The Cemanis that are born with the white toes....Will they fill out or stay white? Just wondering. Thanks

Clear toenails will usually fill in. White toenails stay white. White toes will usually darken, but white toes is a sign of not great fibro expression.

Last edited:

This seasons keeper breeding cockerel... :)

Looking good! I gotta get some pictures of my new boy for this year.

Thanks! I'm super pleased with him... still has some filling out to do too... his hackle is mostly pin feathers under that first layer, lol... a few really nice pullets, gotta get pics of those still... and my backup guy...

It seems that I've been bit by the AC bug...
As soon as I saw these beauties I became very interested and my attraction has only grown as I've researched.
Now, for my questions:
Being new to the breed, I feel vulnerable to many of the less-than-honest folks out there. I really don't know fair prices for eggs or chicks.
Before I jump off the deep end and buy either, I'm reading as much as I can here.
My goal is to bring either chicks or eggs in this spring/summer but I'd rather wait and learn if that ultimately will turn out better.
I've communicated with several ppl selling eggs, chicks, and youngsters (4 months old).
Can anyone say what a fair going price would be for eggs? or chicks? or juveniles?
When buying does one ask for paperwork to show the lineage? or is that plain rude?

Last night I was offered 3 16 weeks olds that the seller thinks are pullets.
Are there ways to guess the gender better thann just be clueless as I am now?

Any info or opinion is welcome. I am coming here trusting the folks here bcs I am truly ignorant--not dumb--just lacking knowledge.
Thanks.

It seems that I've been bit by the AC bug...
As soon as I saw these beauties I became very interested and my attraction has only grown as I've researched.
Now, for my questions:
Being new to the breed, I feel vulnerable to many of the less-than-honest folks out there. I really don't know fair prices for eggs or chicks.
Before I jump off the deep end and buy either, I'm reading as much as I can here.
My goal is to bring either chicks or eggs in this spring/summer but I'd rather wait and learn if that ultimately will turn out better.
I've communicated with several ppl selling eggs, chicks, and youngsters (4 months old).
Can anyone say what a fair going price would be for eggs? or chicks? or juveniles?
When buying does one ask for paperwork to show the lineage? or is that plain rude?

Last night I was offered 3 16 weeks olds that the seller thinks are pullets.  
Are there ways to guess the gender better thann just be clueless as I am now?

Any info or opinion is welcome. I am coming here trusting the folks here bcs I am truly ignorant--not dumb--just lacking knowledge.
Thanks.

Great idea to research before buying! Ayam Cemani have a high cull rate, so if you see parent stock with defects, the babies are more likely to have defects.

The only way to be sure of starting with good stock is to buy good adults. You should have fewer culls that way.

As for lineage, if someone is selling "GFF birds" then yes, they should have docs. Otherwise not.

Last edited:
Great idea to research before buying! Ayam Cemani have a high cull rate, so if you see parent stock with defects, the babies are more likely to have defects.

The only way to be sure of starting with good stock is to buy good adults. You should have fewer culls that way.

As for lineage, if someone is selling "GFF birds" then yes, they should have docs. Otherwise not.
Thank you very much!
The person I've communicated with (who is selling the 3 16 week olds) states they are from GFF and...? (I'll check the text and see if I can find the other lineage she mentioned).
I know she doesn't have the parents (or "know" bcs she stated this) since she said she bought the 3 of these birds and hoped for a trio, 2 pullets and a cockerel. She stated that the person from whom she bought the birds would take them back and trade her 20 (what she said) silkies or other breeding stock.
The more I describe this, the stranger it sounds to me!
She was asking 125 but quickly offered the 3 of them for 100.
Ixs that anywhere in the range they'd usually go for?

On the other hand, I communicated with a different person who sells eggs. I emailed again bcs the price was left out. (I had asked about several different breeds' eggs).
As per high cull rate: what sorts of defects would I be looking for/at?
Thank you very much!

Ask for paperwork if the breeder can't prove thru paperwork don't bother buying stock from them cause u can't prove what the birds are. N ur going off an "honest" persons remarks. In the many good life choices I have been faced with. I would say go with proof and not someone's word. If the breeder didn't get paperwork to show what the birds are truly then there breeding practices follow suit of their lazy ways and I won't buy from them. Just saying. Not to mention if they don't have paperwork then they probably got the birds illegally. There r many rules to follow when it comes to poultry and most don't follow any of them. Even the big name breeders don't care to send documents with the birds unless u ask for them. Some will send it with the birds others u have to wait several months and constantly call n pester them just to make sure ur legit.

Back
Top Bottom