The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

I don't let anyone visit ever. My biosecurity is pretty tight and I just won't take the chance that someone brings a disease in on their shoes or clothes, etc.

I started with a known cull. He sparked my interest, and is still part of my layer flock.

I acquired a pair of juveniles, and then a second pair. I have yet to get a fertile egg, and I am looking for more juveniles or adults or hatching eggs. I'm willing to gamble on eggs. Culls just go into my layer flock, and cull cockerels make meat.

No visitors here either! Just can't take the chances. I have only mostly lurked here on this thread. I have 1 Rooster and 1 Hen that are my original pair. I have added 1 Cockerel and 2 Pullets over a bit of time. I put the cockerel in with the two pullets who are new to laying and zip for fertility. I have moved the pullets in with the original pair. The hen is not laying, she laid last fall and decided to quit, has not started up this spring yet. None of my birds are perfect. They each have a fault, some minor as in clear toes, or mulberry in the wattles, or lighter mouths. I am just trying to get fertility so I can see what the heck the offspring will come out like. If they are all faulted, then I will just have a quad of yard art. I have decided not to concentrate on this breed as a major part of my breeding program. They are just too hard to get right.

I am very happy to see many of you who have stuck it out and are trying to improve the breed here in the US. Who knows I may decide to get back in the game if the breed improves enough to buy chicks or eggs that can produce quality offspring without such heavy culling.

I think they are one of the most beautiful and striking birds I have owned, which is why I will keep what I have.

I truly don't believe you will ever get to produce perfect fibro birds. I have grown a lot of different kinds and I see the same issues with all fibro breeds.

So we have a lot to discuss.
Flock start size, fibro traits, black dots on eggs, which fibro is better. So let's gets started

Let's start off with the tray above which are svart Hona fresh yesterday off the press so to speak. You notice white wing tips this is no good. Full right away to save u money and time unless u are keeping for a free range bird or for freezer camp. Normally they will have white in the feet. Another reason to cull.

The above container of many is svart honas and the two are ayam cemani. I started with roughly even numbers between the Hmong, svart honas, and the ayam cemani. With that being said u can see in the pic below as well Hmong chickens and bottom container is svart honas
So the last container is svarts. These were hatched out the same day. Svart honas are the best productive. Some have grayish to deep purple fibro traits while others have a green hue to them. Hens are smaller. Roosters take a bit to fully mature. Then the Hmong chicken. Mid production, much larger hens/roosters then all the fibros. Color to the males (paylay) and none to hens should. Combs are different then those of sh/ac. Dark grayish to grey. Lastly comes the ayam cemani in all aspects of chickens in general. Low egg production, small birds, seems to not grow as fast as other fibro types. The only bird that dies in my brooders bc they are week. Fibro traits are generally pretty dark but not black u should have very few with defects compared to the other fibro birds.

Freshly transferred into brooder

This gets me on my discussion of fibro traits and black spots. U can see the eggs from that batch and hardly any spots now. I have been aggressive about cleaning. Seems more and more less have spots now. Starting to lean toward the mold theory. I have offered to do free things for the university with no response. Next batch I'm just gunna send some eggs in and see. That's all. Be sure to keep up with my forum a lot of new things on there. Also next subject I will be talking about is breed selection and what u should do compared to what most people are doing. See you soon.

I have great danes, chihuahua's, electric fencing and my SIL lives on same property, he has the guns. So far no one has dared go to the back and side of my place where my critters are. They roam over his way quite often. My land lady will not try to come in here unannounced anymore either. she does to SIL and daughter's place all the time.

Sharon

So...i decided i wanted to get into these chickens. I ordered chicks from valley view farms. Some of the chicks have white toes. Anyone know anything about thier bloodlines? I wanted to breed them. I also reaf a lot bout a ver popular ayam breeder that also has this isdue. I've seen sellers stating they sell eggs from a raven bloodline. Would it be a no no to breed that line into the american bred ayams?

So...i decided i wanted to get into these chickens. I ordered chicks from valley view farms. Some of the chicks have white toes. Anyone know anything about thier bloodlines? I wanted to breed them. I also reaf a lot bout a ver popular ayam breeder that also has this isdue. I've seen sellers stating they sell eggs from a raven bloodline. Would it be a no no to breed that line into the american bred ayams?

Not familiar with Valley View. We have been breeding Ayam Cemani for over 2 years and have just about eliminated the white toe nails completely in our chicks. When we sell breeder quality, we exclude them from the order. However, it is very common in this breed, and oftentimes, the white toe nails will grow out to be all black. We are members of the Ayam Cemani Breeders Association, you may check it out on FB or the website for breeders that aspire toward the SOP.

https://www.ayamcemani.us/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AyamCemaniBreedersAssociation/

Mark the ones without white toes... while they do tend to darken as they grow out, that will get passed on to the next generation... if you can avoid using them after they grow out, I would... better to learn what you have and what yours will throw before adding in from any other lines... jmo...

Back
Top Bottom