The American Cemani Breeders Club...open forum

How are your birds doing? Check out this thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/large-sore-on-single-wattle.1192010/unread

And been wracking my brain on who would know more about fowl pox and feel like an idiot now, lol... talk to @casportpony is your best bet...

Thanks for checking in, Ravyn! My chooks are doing awesome. Dobby (the sick one) pulled through with lotsa loving care, is up and walking around and gaining some weight, and all the lesions scabbed off. I figured she'll prolly always be small, but she lived! :)

I emailed with the guy I got them from. He did say that the birds were all vaccinated for pox, and that he did have pox in his flock about 1.5 years ago. So I'm fairly confident that is what it was. Dobby was small, a runt, and no vaccine is 100%. I just hope none of the other birds get it! But if they do, at least their immune systems are in better shape.

My rooster boy, Lafayette, started crowing two days ago! It is hilarious! He does this squeaky "rrr--rrr--RRR!" thing that is kind of pathetic, but cute. And sometimes he stretches his head and opens his mouth and nothing comes out. I love it!

Thanks for checking in, Ravyn! My chooks are doing awesome. Dobby (the sick one) pulled through with lotsa loving care, is up and walking around and gaining some weight, and all the lesions scabbed off. I figured she'll prolly always be small, but she lived! :)

I emailed with the guy I got them from. He did say that the birds were all vaccinated for pox, and that he did have pox in his flock about 1.5 years ago. So I'm fairly confident that is what it was. Dobby was small, a runt, and no vaccine is 100%. I just hope none of the other birds get it! But if they do, at least their immune systems are in better shape.

My rooster boy, Lafayette, started crowing two days ago! It is hilarious! He does this squeaky "rrr--rrr--RRR!" thing that is kind of pathetic, but cute. And sometimes he stretches his head and opens his mouth and nothing comes out. I love it!

Glad she is doing better! :hugs

I know vaccines aren't 100%, but full disclosure would have been a nice courtesy...

Did it spread? :fl it didn't!

I adore the learning to crow mess ups! Had a couple that did the no sound bit, lol... funnier is when it comes out as a squawk and they look around to see who did it! :lau

Glad she is doing better! :hugs

I know vaccines aren't 100%, but full disclosure would have been a nice courtesy...

Did it spread? :fl it didn't!

I adore the learning to crow mess ups! Had a couple that did the no sound bit, lol... funnier is when it comes out as a squawk and they look around to see who did it! :lau

It didn't spread; although I've read it can take a long time to go through a flock. He did tell me upfront he vaccinated them for fowl pox...you take your chances when you don't order from a hatchery. As long as nobody else gets it I'm a happy camper! :)

At what age can you definitely tell if you have a pullet or cockerel? Dobby is about 10 weeks and even though her growth is stunted I'm fairly sure she's a pullet.

The crowing thing is hilarious! I love when he tries to crow, he sounds like a creaky trumpet! So cute. I am really digging these birds (except Luna, who pecks me every chance she gets, she's lucky I'm a vegetarian, lol).

It didn't spread; although I've read it can take a long time to go through a flock. He did tell me upfront he vaccinated them for fowl pox...you take your chances when you don't order from a hatchery. As long as nobody else gets it I'm a happy camper! :)

At what age can you definitely tell if you have a pullet or cockerel? Dobby is about 10 weeks and even though her growth is stunted I'm fairly sure she's a pullet.

The crowing thing is hilarious! I love when he tries to crow, he sounds like a creaky trumpet! So cute. I am really digging these birds (except Luna, who pecks me every chance she gets, she's lucky I'm a vegetarian, lol).

Ah, good then... and hatcheries aren't 100% either, actually...

*I think* it's only actively contagious when there are lesions/scabs still going, but I could be completely wrong on that... I would ask Kathy (casportpony) for verification...

Some cockerels are very late bloomers, but by about 12 weeks, you should see saddle/hackle feathers coming in if they're cockerels... *most* cockerels have big combs and wattles showing fairly early though...

Last edited:
I have a question about feather sheen. What is acceptable? I recently read a comment on a facebook group where someone said anything other than green as in purple was not acceptable. Is this true?

Was this comment directly addressing Cemanis? In *most* breeds, the black varieties are desired to have green sheen and not purple... I have heard (in the past) that either sheen in Cemanis was acceptable... green is preferred...

Yes in Ayam Cemani. I remember early on in these threads the purple was liked. So I was surprised when I read that. I also could not find it in the "standard" on the Ayam Cemani Breeders Club site.

Ah, I am not on FB and don't follow the ACBC...

Ask a dozen different people and you'll get a dozen different answers, lol...

Now, I was directly involved in a large discussion pertaining to green vs purple sheen in another breed in the black color variety... some believe that the reason for the sheens is color base, one being silver and one being gold... in that breed, silver base was desired not gold, and green sheen was desired...

*BUT* it also depends on when the color sheen is expressing that you see... many that started out showing purple sheen ended up growing out to green sheen... also, it was advised that breeding a purple sheened bird to a flat black bird would correct it back to green sheen...

So, take from that what you wish, lol... that's all I can say... personally, I haven't seen purple sheen in mine, only green... do you have Cemanis with purple sheen?

Yes in some of the Cockerels I am seeing it. I personally like it. But if I am going to breed what will become the acceptable standard to which my breeds must adhere to then I will not use those particular ones. MY original Rooster is amazing! I am hoping to have one of his sons make the cut as the backup. He has wonderful Indonesian type. Of course this is my own opinion of him.. Ha ha
IMG_20160621_140059579.jpg

He is gorgeous no doubt... are the cockerels still young? If so, it may still grow out...

My opinion is, look to the bigger issues first, then the finer details... I wouldn't overlook a cockerel based solely on sheen if all his other attributes exceed the rest... but until you have a successor that excedes the predecessor, that's a moot point, lol...

Back
Top Bottom