The American Hollands Chicken Thread & Census

The American Hollands Chicken Census: Check each option that applies.

• We have Barred Hollands

Votes: 20 83.3%
  • We have White Hollands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We have layers only

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have less than 5 Breeders

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • We have 10 Breeders

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • We have 20 Breeders

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • We have 30 Breeders

• We have 40 Breeders

• We have 50 Breeders

• We have 60 Breeders

• We have 70 Breeders

• We have 80 Breeders

• We have 90 Breeders

• We have 100 Breeders

• We have 100-125 Breeders

• We have 125+ Breeders

• Our Barred Hollands are from Ideal Poultry Farms.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Duane Urch/Turnland.

• Our Barred Hollands are from Sandhill Preservation.

• Our Barred Hollands are from a private breeder.

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Quote:
Hey, I know this fellow in Arkansas that can build you a new coop!
lau.gif

Hey, I think I have heard of him! I hear he has some nice birds too and is a funny guy!
lau.gif

I wonder, could you give me some ideas for plans? I think my Plymouth Rocks and Buckeyes will be enough for now, but, like you said who knows?

Just click on my BYC pages to see our coops. I used the photos of several coops to design ours.

Hi Everyone - I'm just dropping in to introduce myself. I am relatively new to chickens but by the good graces of Jen (jenjscott) my husband and I are being gifted the opportunity to participate in saving this breed (which I have fallen in love with through reading about them). I am really excited to be receiving our eggs this coming week. We have a small piece of property with 9 girls that currently free range (and one roo). Our girls consist of 5 Dominiques, 2 Silver Laced Bantam Cochins and 2 Buff Orpingtons and our roo is a buff too. We started our flock in November with straight run chicks. Once we get our flock of Hollands up and running we intend of finding homes for the other birds except the Dominiques (I love them). I am looking forward to learning more about all of this. I wish I was taught applicable stuff like this in school! I have an undergrad in Biology but would have greatly enjoyed seeing genetics in practice. We raise chickens predominately for eggs at this point. We have culled two rosters ourselves (I plucked) which was quite an experience. Anyway, looking forward to learning and helping!

namaste,
Wysteria
Maryland

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

And welcome to the Barred Hollands!

We live about 30 miles from Jen and have seen her Barred Hollands up close. You will be pleased with them. Though they are a work in progress, they are nice. We don't have any Barred Hollands (yet), but have gotten Buckeyes from Jen. Very healthy birds!

We have 6 eggs set to hatch in the next few days! Super excited! Can't wait to have barred babies! :) Just had to share.

I don't have any Hollands, but I would definiately be interested in the White variety if any can be located. Barred is just not my favorite color in any breed.

I just wanted to drop in on this posting. I have a trio of barred hollands. I hatched out over 40 chicks this summer and will soon sort out the best ones for next years breeders. The culls will be destined for the table. I am interested in getting stock from other people too. My birds came from Ideal Poultry and an individual who got her birds from Ideal too.

Drop me a message I am interested in keeping this breed going.

David

Quote:
It seems the white Holland is exstinct. However, we are working on the preservation of the Lamona. Once we have some adult Lamonas, I may try to sneak a male lamona over to Jen's and mate to a few Barred Hollands hens. The cross should produce a few useable White Hollands.

Quote:
Sure you could, but I think it better to work on & perfect the established colors first. They need a lot of work and dedicated breeders to recover. And like the Buckeye, I hope it becomes a favorite for homesteads.
Good luck to all that participate in the recovery project.
Mitch

I had really sad luck this spring hatching. But one little guy is going strong. I intend on breeding them but will need to get more eggs to strengthen my flock of one. Love the breed though!

Back
Top Bottom