The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

Quote: Please don't let the critiques get you down. You are having them "judged" here by some knowledgeable, very experienced people. The intent is to teach. Your bird does have size and the overall lines are good too. Enjoy her! Most of mine are by no means show birds but I love them very much and I've learned a lot by reading what the above posters have to say.

By all means, we want you to know taht we wish to help all we can. A lady posted a photo of a Black Orpington cockerel on the Heritage thread and asked our opinions. 1) its comb had a side sprig, big disqualification. 2) it was very poor type, yet large. Today we learn the bird is only 4-5 months old. That makes a lot of difference. Photos do not do any of us justice. Walt has stated several times it is hard to judge a bird in a photo. Enter your Orpingtons in a show. Win, lose or draw...... you get a judge's hands on your birds and see what they think. I have had some judges turn and ask questions before. Some are not as keen on some breeds as others. I prefer Terry Britt as an Orpington judge. Guys like Terry and Walt can look at an Orpington and just know. (plus if they are judging, they ARE NOT showing
hide.gif
). If I wanted a Bantam judge, Matt Lhamon would be one of my picks. Judges that are top breeders in their breed (s) can give some great advice at shows.

In Virginia you have Tom Roebuck. Tom could breed top quality buff birds blindfolded! He is pretty good on several other breeds as well.

In any case, take your birds to a show. Let a judge look them over. Your bird is standing in tall grass. Perhaps a photo on sand/gravel or dirt would show us a better look at her shanks. If she does have too much fluff, then breed to her a nice type male and start culling their chicks. By no means should she become a pot of dumplins. At least not until you hatch 100+ chicks from her. The APA National in Lucasville, Ohio may have some nice Black Orpingtons available for sale. We will be going through our juvenile pens and choosing our breeders. We are only keeping a limited amount due to space and feed cost. We have a BYC thread dedicated to the show.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592403/2012-apa-annual-meet-lucasville-ohio-october-6-7-2012

My Black Orpington show and breeding rooster died today :( He has taken a few class champions, best of breed, best of varieties, and just came home from getting Champion English at Puyallup. It appears to have been a bad accident. I'm hoping that one of the 5 juveniles I have from him and my two best hens turns out to be a rooster! Looks like maybe ONE is. I'm currently sorting out all of the eggs from the last 4-5 days that were in the fridge and will collect the ones from my show hens that were in with Jackson for the next 4-5 days. I do appreciate poultry fertility. They are ALL going in the incubator! This is all I feel I can do to save my breeding program at this moment. I was even starting to plan out my breeding pens for next year along with the next two shows :( :( :( Hope I get at least 5 more chicks 10 would be better! This is 2 years worth of work and planning. :(
He was also the one I planned to breed my couple of Lav Orp project pullets to early next spring, phooey!

I'm so sorry for the loss of you show roo. I have lost my best F2 generation pullets (not Orps), and my favorite Orps (not SQ) to a fox this year. These can not compare to losing a great show bird and key roo, but I feel your pain.

My Black Orpington show and breeding rooster died today :( He has taken a few class champions, best of breed, best of varieties, and just came home from getting Champion English at Puyallup. It appears to have been a bad accident. I'm hoping that one of the 5 juveniles I have from him and my two best hens turns out to be a rooster! Looks like maybe ONE is. I'm currently sorting out all of the eggs from the last 4-5 days that were in the fridge and will collect the ones from my show hens that were in with Jackson for the next 4-5 days. I do appreciate poultry fertility. They are ALL going in the incubator! This is all I feel I can do to save my breeding program at this moment. I was even starting to plan out my breeding pens for next year along with the next two shows :( :( :( Hope I get at least 5 more chicks 10 would be better! This is 2 years worth of work and planning. :(
He was also the one I planned to breed my couple of Lav Orp project pullets to early next spring, phooey!

Life and death happens. Especially in the poultry world. Defintely set every egg for the next month+. Hoping you get some good hatches. You may also keep an eye on the sale are at the shows. Some one may have an extra cockerel to sell. Hope one of your juveniles is a cockerel. Understand, it happens to us all. We do know how you feel. Keep in mind what you have left.

I've recently come across an Orpington for sale in my area called a 'lemon cuckoo' Orpington. He's quite a nice looking bird, and I like Orpingtons, but I don't know anything about this variety.
I was wondering if somebody could tell me a bit about it?
Thanks.

I'm thinking this is a Blue Orpington? He is about 23 weeks old here. I kept thinking he would get darker because all the other chicks are Black Orps. I hatched him out of some BBS eggs that I purchased.

He looks rough as they are still getting feathers in and he has been fighting with the other cockerels.

His feet are speckled on the bottoms and his legs are lighter than on the blacks. His feathers don't seemed to be outlined like the other Blue Orps I've seen. I have Lav/self blue Orps too and he really doesn't look like them.

He has yellow or white on his hackle feathers. I tried to get a shot or two of it but it doesn't show up well and I just noticed it. Is this some sort of bleed through or is he really a splash? Thanks for any info on this guy.

looks like a dark blue to me... this happens allot if they are just breeding blue to black over time the blue's get darker and darker... if u breed blue to splash the blue's will get lighter and lighter... breed blue to blue and there will be some dark and some light and most in-between... it is really hard to get good lacing on any blue bird and some of the darker ones are really tough... Blue and splash birds show leakage allot more than black does... i never use any male for breeding that shows leakage... but if u want to keep the blue in your line and he is the only one you have then just cull hard in any of his sons that show it... His overall type looks pretty good to me so far...

I'm thinking this is a Blue Orpington? He is about 23 weeks old here. I kept thinking he would get darker because all the other chicks are Black Orps. I hatched him out of some BBS eggs that I purchased.

He looks rough as they are still getting feathers in and he has been fighting with the other cockerels.

His feet are speckled on the bottoms and his legs are lighter than on the blacks. His feathers don't seemed to be outlined like the other Blue Orps I've seen. I have Lav/self blue Orps too and he really doesn't look like them.

He has yellow or white on his hackle feathers. I tried to get a shot or two of it but it doesn't show up well and I just noticed it. Is this some sort of bleed through or is he really a splash? Thanks for any info on this guy.

if u take a White/black Barred bird and breed them to buff for about 2 generations you can get Buff barred birds... it is a hard color to breed and the hens don't show barring they just look buff... the boys sure are pretty tho...
I've recently come across an Orpington for sale in my area called a 'lemon cuckoo' Orpington. He's quite a nice looking bird, and I like Orpingtons, but I don't know anything about this variety.
I was wondering if somebody could tell me a bit about it?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom