The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

My husband and I are looking for someone who lives close that has some large fowl buff orpington chickens for sale please let me know.
I'm in NE Indiana in the Lafayette area.

Here is the sire to the eggs we shipped you.
fl.gif
Hope every egg hatches!

47716_jacob_and_gent.jpg

Quote:
BackyardCoop, you should also follow up with Shaffer. He shows in your area and knows many who may have stock available. Attend some of the fall shows. Many will be selling their extras at the fall shows. If you contact them prior to a show and prepay, they can bring some with them.

The AOPF will be holding its 2012 National at Lucasville, Ohio. Learn more about the show at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/592403/2012-apa-annual-meet-lucasville-ohio-october-6-7-2012

Some of our juveniles. Sorry about the photo quality.

A few of our Orpington juveniles. There are also some UA Blue Egg Layers in this group.

254813_4263298468394_1979710610_n.jpg

A few of our Orpington juveniles. There is also some Sussex in this group and one duck.

376717_4263302628498_1492710110_n.jpg

We opened the fence that divides the juvenile paddock from the main paddock. This allows the juveniles to eat the scraps that fall from the bantam coops/hutches. One of the Buff Orp cockerels walked over to our White Chantecler coop and started picking a fight with the White Chantecler male. The Orps are about half grown, so the Chantecler out weighs him by at least 5#. The fight lasted a few seconds as the Orp walked away in victory! He was strutting as if to say, "Look at me! I whooped that big boy!" I did notice they steered clear of their sire!
lau.gif
Cockerel bravery just goes so far!

Jim can you get a few close ups of those..my cousin still wants hatching eggs early next spring..we'll be getting ahold of you later on , early next year..he will be semi retired finnaly..hes super excited..or eggcited..hes bringing over his hovabator and im going to hatch for him since i do it every year..hes a little nervous about it . so im going to help him. he knows i do it all the time..hes only done a few of his own sussex.when the time gets closer, i will send you off a medishipper for them....

mine are going to be little too young for ohio..but patience, we'll see what a couple years brings. is this the club also that offered award for english? for future reference.i saw it advertised in the past..like some kind of special award?

Last edited:
she is absolutly wonderful! you are so lucky to have her..
This gal we got it from a breeder down south, who got it from a Orp breeder in OK (her name escaped me momentarily and I will edit when I remember her name) lines to Superior Farms which they did bought out well known breeder in the Orp club. My old posts should have all the names to it.

Here is Sarah, my bestest Orp bantam hen, devoted mom to any chicks that I snuck under her. Persisent broody hen that would literally sit on eggs for two to three months.

Welsummer057.jpg

This gal we got it from a breeder down south, who got it from a Orp breeder in OK (her name escaped me momentarily and I will edit when I remember her name) lines to Superior Farms which they did bought out well known breeder in the Orp club. My old posts should have all the names to it.

Here is Sarah, my bestest Orp bantam hen, devoted mom to any chicks that I snuck under her. Persisent broody hen that would literally sit on eggs for two to three months.

Welsummer057.jpg

You guys have some beautiful birds!

I posted this as it's own thread, but got no response. I was hoping some of you here would give me your opinion.

I recieved 8 BBS Orpington chicks of various ages through a swap. Unfortunately, only one was a pullet - a splash. I am trying to decide if I should just keep the pullet for a layer and broody, or keep one of the roos with her. I have ruled out the 3 oldest, so have 4 to choose from. I originally thought if I kept one it would be a blue. But then I read on the English Orp thread that if I breed a splash roo and a buff hen, I will get partridge chicks. Do I have that right? I love
love.gif
the partridge coloring!

Anyway, which one is the best to keep and why?

Splash pullet
468x376px-LL-ce8a4cfc_Orppullet082112.jpeg

Splash roo
467x375px-LL-944d5bcd_Splashorproo082112.jpeg

Blue roo 1

466x374px-LL-581b57db_Orproo1082112.jpeg

Blue roo 2
465x374px-LL-873f75b3_Orproo3082112.jpeg

Blue roo 3

470x361px-LL-0f40abdb_Orproo2082112.jpeg

Your birds look great. I have never heard of crossing a Splash and Buff to get a Partridge.

You will want to keep a Blue cockerel with your Splash pullet. That will give you 50% Blue and 50% Splash with their offspring.

Photos do not always tell the whole story. You need hands on. When I first started in exhibition poultry, I was not sure what to keep. So I took everything I had to a show and allowed the judge to decide.

Be nice if you can find a mentor near you. Someone who would come out and help you choose.
You guys have some beautiful birds!

I posted this as it's own thread, but got no response. I was hoping some of you here would give me your opinion.

I recieved 8 BBS Orpington chicks of various ages through a swap. Unfortunately, only one was a pullet - a splash. I am trying to decide if I should just keep the pullet for a layer and broody, or keep one of the roos with her. I have ruled out the 3 oldest, so have 4 to choose from. I originally thought if I kept one it would be a blue. But then I read on the English Orp thread that if I breed a splash roo and a buff hen, I will get partridge chicks. Do I have that right? I love
love.gif
the partridge coloring!

Anyway, which one is the best to keep and why?

Splash pullet
468x376px-LL-ce8a4cfc_Orppullet082112.jpeg

Splash roo
467x375px-LL-944d5bcd_Splashorproo082112.jpeg

Blue roo 1

466x374px-LL-581b57db_Orproo1082112.jpeg

Blue roo 2
465x374px-LL-873f75b3_Orproo3082112.jpeg

Blue roo 3

470x361px-LL-0f40abdb_Orproo2082112.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom