The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

Quote:
Thank you Jim! I wondered too, I didnt' realize it was in the Standard. My copy is 1993 and it's on page 7 there as well, figure 23. Someone said that about a cockerel I had and I thought I knew what they were saying but it's good to see an actual picture to confirm.

You must also understand that taking good photos of poultry is an art. Few can do it right. Some birds will appear defective in a photo yet be perfect in a showroom. I had a Buff Orpington Bantam male in the 1980's that was unbeatable. He only lost twice. Once to J. Ralph Brazelton and the other time it was DQ for size. The judge felt he was to large for a bantam. I have carefully watched size from then on. Many of the Orpington bantams at Crossroads were much to large.

This gal we got it from a breeder down south, who got it from a Orp breeder in OK (her name escaped me momentarily and I will edit when I remember her name) lines to Superior Farms which they did bought out well known breeder in the Orp club. My old posts should have all the names to it.

Here is Sarah, my bestest Orp bantam hen, devoted mom to any chicks that I snuck under her. Persisent broody hen that would literally sit on eggs for two to three months.

Welsummer057.jpg

Quote:
An Orp should have a broad deep head......a wide substantial head.

Look at a modern game head to see a slightly extreme crow head. Long and skinny for the breed. It is a serious defect. When the SOP says serious defect that means it is very close to a DQ...and should not be placed high..or given best of breed.

Walt

How are everyone's hatches doing this year?

Our birds are growing off well and looking great!

We did have some minor losses with the extreem heat and a now dead predator, but have raised more than enough replacements. We have also listed some extras on BYC and Featherauction.

Here are some of our Buff Orpington cockerels:

Can anyone show a profile picture of a bantam Orp around 3 mo old so I can train my eye?
I just checked and we do not have a photo of that age. Nor do we have any of that age to take a photo of. I would suggest just keep doing what you are doing until they mature. then cull them.

Here are some of Nicole's BOBs (Buff Orp Bantams) and below that are some other color Orpington Bantams.

Orpington BANTAMS:

BUFF. Nicole calls our Buff Orpington Bantams BOBs. They are from several sources; however all acquired theirs from the Brazelton Line. We have won Best of Breed numerous times. At Crossroads 2011 Joint National we placed 4th.

47716_king.jpg

47716_buff_orp_male_3.jpg
47716_buff_orp_bantam_2.jpg

BLACK/BLUE/SPLASH
Blue/Splash. We acquired these from Dick Hortsman. They have placed Best of Variety several times.

47716_12477_blueorp.jpg
47716_12477_splash.jpg

Our Splash male is from Superior Farms.

47716_brenae_and_splash.jpg

BLACK. We acquired these from Majestic Lane Poultry, via one of our 4-H club members. He showed the hen at Crossroads and won Best of Breed, Junior Show.

47716_champion_orp_bntm_jr_crossroads.jpg
47716_blackie.jpg

My husband and I are looking for someone who lives close that has some large fowl buff orpington chickens for sale please let me know.
I'm in NE Indiana in the Lafayette area.

Back
Top Bottom