The American Orpington Fanciers Thread

I had to take my Mom to eastern Oklahoma today, Took some Black Orpington Bantam juveiles. Traded those for a Hinc Mountain Self Blue/Lav cockerel hatched late 2011. Its got excellent Orpington type. Great color. His flock of SB were beautiful! Got to see his LF Black Orps that he got from me this summer. They look great!

Headed home in the morning.

Our new F6 Self Blue male.

47716_sb_orp_f6.jpg

Here is another project we have. A Gold Laced Orpington.

47716_gl_orp.jpg

I have a question, please. I notice in these 2 pictures, from this thread, there is a big difference in the size of the head. Which one is correct? Also, another question. I just don't understand this word...... what is crows head? I read in the SOP that it is a serious defect. Can you help me to understand this? Thank you.

008mxy.jpg

47716_sb_orp_f6.jpg

Look on page 7 of the 2010 Standard of Perfection. Then an illustration on page 18, figure 23.

However, that would be best seen in an adult bird. A slow maturing bird will need extra time to see what their mature look is. I have seen birds that were culled by good breeders come back in a year and win over the breeder that culled it. There a a few things you can cull for in Orpingtons when they are young. But it is best to raise them up to near maturity before culling for everything.

I would suggest that all Orpington breeders own a Standard of Perfection and read it.

Not bad Jim, breed him to your splits, looks like he's a big boy already with that stance he has.
Looks like he is sun bleached or getting a bit to much corn in his diet. However that will molt out.
Don't be discouraged by some, work for what you are after and you will get it..

Quote:
Thanks! He was running loose so is a bit bleached by the sun. The camera angle and light was not good either. Looking at him, he has excellent Orpington type, as does our Split pullet.

Quote:
Thank you Jim! I wondered too, I didnt' realize it was in the Standard. My copy is 1993 and it's on page 7 there as well, figure 23. Someone said that about a cockerel I had and I thought I knew what they were saying but it's good to see an actual picture to confirm.

Back
Top Bottom