The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

I am auctioning two pair of English Bantam Orpingtons off on the FB page Orpington Bantams USA. A Blue rooster and a light Mauve rooster, each with a choice of a hen to the high bidder. All the details are on the the auction posts. Come join the fun on the BEST Bantam Orp page in the USA

I kind of dropped off the face of the Earth and forgot I was subscribed to this thread until I went looking for hatching eggs.

So, I have been looking at bantam Orps - I need to bring in new bantam choc blood. Seems the birds I got 2, almost 3yrs now, are totally different type then what I have been seeing the last few months. Granted, I did pick rounder birds for my choc bantam Cochin project, but these guys aren't much different from 3 generations ago (parent stock to my original 5 birds).

Here's my roo, turning 2 this year. He's a true bantam at around 3lbs. I had the 5-7lbers from Marc when I first started and they were as big as my 75% English girls so I eliminated them. I have 2 hens but they are totally tailless, so there is no type to compare/look at!

I bought some hatching eggs and they are true bantams, too, but their type is not the same as my line. Not as "Orpy" as what I am seeing here, either.
Opinions?

ETA: My original 5 birds from almost 3yrs ago (April 2013 I got them):

And just for fun, my "mid-sized" 5-7lbers back in January 2013.

Last edited:
I've been SOLD on the Orpingtons ever since I raised a few chicks for a "breeder" that was hatching eggs. Now I'm IN LOVE with the breed's looks & personality, however my yard is too small for them. I recently learned of the Bantam size & now trying to find out IF I could get some for "Pets with Benefits". The 'horrible' part is I live in Hilo, Hawaii and haven't been able to find anyone here with the Bantams.

Due to laws I think I read eggs can be shipped and a person needs to have certain credentials to ship chicks. We have a Del's Farm Supply here that brings in chicks March - April but the standard birds. Is there anyone out there that would be able to ship chicks? Eggs would be my last resort being that I'd need to get an incubator. I'm doing my research now but wouldn't be ready until mid - Sept.

I've been SOLD on the Orpingtons ever since I raised a few chicks for a "breeder" that was hatching eggs. Now I'm IN LOVE with the breed's looks & personality, however my yard is too small for them. I recently learned of the Bantam size & now trying to find out IF I could get some for "Pets with Benefits". The 'horrible' part is I live in Hilo, Hawaii and haven't been able to find anyone here with the Bantams.

Due to laws I think I read eggs can be shipped and a person needs to have certain credentials to ship chicks. We have a Del's Farm Supply here that brings in chicks March - April but the standard birds. Is there anyone out there that would be able to ship chicks? Eggs would be my last resort being that I'd need to get an incubator. I'm doing my research now but wouldn't be ready until mid - Sept.

Sorry I can't help you, just wondering what is Pets with Benefits? If there is no one here who can help, there is also a Facebook group called Orpington Bantams USA. You might try asking there also. GL!

SHIPPING TO HAWAII

Poultry

For the purposes of entry, “Poultry” means ducks, geese, pigeons, and birds of the order Galliformes such as chickens, turkeys, guinea fowls, peafowl, pheasants, grouse, partridges, and quail, including their eggs for hatching.
In summary, poultry except chicken hatching eggs and day-old birds, and chickens, pheasants, quail, chuckers, and rock doves (domestic pigeons) that are older than four weeks, require a pre-arrival seven-day (168 hours) isolation from mosquitoes under the supervision of an accredited veterinarian and must enter the State within 36 hours of completing isolation.
In addition, poultry must originate from a flock having a Pullorum-Typhoid clean rating in a state or national plan, or have been tested for Pullorum-Typhoid disease with negative results within 30 days of entry. The poultry cannot be vaccinated for any disease with a vaccine containing a live agent within 60 days of shipment.
An individual identification device (leg or wing band) must be on each bird and numbers listed on the Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI); however, individual identification does not apply to day-old birds. The CVI must also contain a Statement that the poultry are “Free of external parasites.” All poultry entering the State must be kept in isolation from other resident birds for a period of 7 days at the importer’s premises.
Non-commercial chickens are required to be test-negative for Newcastle’s disease virus by the hemagglutination inhibition assay within 14 days of entry.

Back
Top Bottom