The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

I apologize that last link I gave you was not what you are looking for. Go to the Buy-sell-trade section in the list of forums. There is a hatching egg section, a day old chick section, and a started chicks section. Hope that helps

Has anyone ever mixed chocolates with buffs? What does I look like? We need a couple more pullets for a healthy flock and my hubby I considering the buff pullets at the feed store but has also stated he wants to hatch eggs next year.
I'm crossing a Mauve cockerel (Choc + Blue) over Buff pullets this year, their offspring will be the first generation of a project I'm working on. As I progress I'll probably post pictures here. My best guess is that in the first generation the chicks will be Blue, Black, Mauve, or Chocolate with varying degrees of gold/red leakage from their heads, through their hackles, and maybe onto their backs and into their saddles (especially in the males).

I've seen some Buff crosses that end up looking like incomplete/messy partridge patterned birds as well. But I'm hoping that won't be the outcome of my cross.

Anyone interested in a bantam Chocolate Orp cockerel? He's a sweet boy, and should grow out into a beautiful bird.
Put him over hens any color (other than Chocolate), and he will produce sex-linked offspring.
Choc male X Black female= 50% Black males, split to/recessively carrying Choc and 50% Chocolate females.

& this is his father, to give you an idea of how he could turn out.

When i bought these last year they told mess they were Hansen chocolate orpingtons. But with the rose comb on the roo, I'm wondering.. can you please help me.

Has anyone with this breed ever had chick-crazy hens? My Splash bantam Orp just tried to steal the chicks from the Black hen! And the Splash wasn't even broody! She ran over to the broody & tried to push her off the chicks and tried to get the chicks under her instead. What the heck??

I believe that's possible. "Cookie" (my bantam orp) went broody 5xs in one year. When a Sebright went broody, she had to join in. (She was only mildly broody, so not a big deal.) When the Sebright & chicks rejoined the flock, there were a few scuffles between the 2 hens. Then Cookie went broody instead. She's now happily sitting on some eggs. Cookie makes a good incubator because the extra fluff helps increase the number of eggs she can hatch. She's also a protective mom & keeps her chicks close.

Back
Top Bottom