The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

When I got my chocolates, what I had read said that most were just a bit too large to technically be called bantams, but I just checked the ABA, and Orpingtons are on the list. I didn't think they were a few years ago, but I'm not sure. I have had some that were much smaller than my bantam cochins. But some of mine bred larger offspring. So I'm not sure of the answer, just tossing out my thoughts.

We have old english lavender orpington bantams but they are not bantam size that we are use to but to my knowledge which is very little, they are bantam size for english? We also have blacks of these size. Both are not the size of a standard chicken but not as small as the other bantams we have.

Then a trio of what we are looking to get more of as they are the small non english bantam size which is what we are trying to find. Basically the size of bowling balls with wings.

We have old english lavender orpington bantams but they are not bantam size that we are use to but to my knowledge which is very little, they are bantam size for english? We also have blacks of these size. Both are not the size of a standard chicken but not as small as the other bantams we have.

Then a trio of what we are looking to get more of as they are the small non english bantam size which is what we are trying to find. Basically the size of bowling balls with wings.

From what I know that Orpington Bantams tend to be bigger than most bantams. From all the sites the list them as being between 2-5 pounds. But then the Orpington breed can be 7+ pounds or more should be but they have been cross out by some hatcheries to get better production I think?

Cookie's a 9" round ball of fluff, so about bowling ball sized. Of course, she looks bigger than really is because of the fluff factor. When I hold her, the body is very light. She's about the same weight as my Sebright or smaller silkie, - but looks bigger. I'd estimate 2-3lbs.

To compare size: Here's a pic when Cookie as a young pullet & some young orp pullets behind her.
IMG_9193.JPG

Sometime soon I'll try and get some size comparison pictures of the blacks we have. Our full grown roo bantam is the almost smaller than the black old english orpington bantam hens we have.

The hard part is getting them to stand still or in focus as they are curious of the phones.

20180203_144738.jpg 20180203_143143.jpg
So here we have the mystery black orpington bantam with old english lavender orpington bantam hens. The lavenders were sold to us as old english lavender orpington bantams and we were told they won't be the same small size as an American bantam that we are use to?

Pictured are black hens with a black roo along with two lavender hens. All are 9 months old except the rooster he much older. As you can see the lavenders are taller than the black roo.

Both lavender and black have the skirt of feathers and DO NOT have feathers on their legs. Both are orpingtons but
what are your thoughts?

I decided to do a photo shoot with my sweet Cookie. (Before she goes broody and turns into "Cookie Monster.") I'm also hoping someone sees this and shares pics of another bantam orp. I can't seem to find anyone else who owns them.

Cookie :love:
age 6 years

IMG_3038 (2).JPG

IMG_3039 (2).JPG

IMG_3043 (2).JPG

IMG_3041 (2).JPG

IMG_3031 (3).JPG

She actually looks a bit 'deflated.' I'm so used to taking pics of her all puffed up and surrounded with chicks. Even now she's all feathers. She looks so much larger than she feels.

I'm hoping she goes broody soon. Besides the eggs in the incubator which will need a mama, she's been laying soft eggs. My hope is she goes broody & won't have to lay eggs.

This spring I got lavender and lavender split bantam Orpingtons. They were so cute at a few days old in this photo. They are now approaching 6 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone had bantam jubilee Orpingtons?

Attachments

• IMG_4279.jpg
    IMG_4279.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 2
@edahcsmac
Great looking chicks! Where did you get them? I've had a hard time finding anyone in the US selling them (other than hatchery buff bantams).

BTW Cookie did go broody and also adopted about 20 incubator chicks. There are also a dozen turkey poults in there too. (At least until the babies get sold.)
IMG_3578 (2).JPG
IMG_3593 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom