The BANTAM ORPINGTON Thread

My Imported Black Bantam Rooster. He is such a ham for the camera.

Hi all, bantam Orpingtons have really caught my eye. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a breeder in Georgia or Tennessee? I'm not interested in show birds at this time, just looking to add to my small backyard flock. :)

I have a question about abnormality problems in chicks.

Last fall I bought 6 two-week old bantam orpington chicks (of various colors) from a breeder on the East coast. Two of the six chicks were extreme runts and died within two months. They never grew larger than a two week old size chick. Nor did they ever got any pin feathers other than on their wings. Both chicks never looked sick but they never grew. The photo below shows chicks that are six weeks old including one of the extreme runts.

Early this year, I bought a dozen chocolate bantam orpington chicken eggs from a breeder in the mid-West. I hatched seven of them. Again we had two chicks with abnormalaties. One of them has a cross bill. A second one had a large patch of downy feathers next to his rump until he was two months old -long past when the others lost all their down. The rest were healthy and thrived.

Is this abnormality rate of 33% normal for any chicken breed or just for bantam breeds or for orpingtons in general? Or did I just get a high number of problem chicks?

I have a question about abnormality problems in chicks. Last fall I bought 6 two-week old bantam orpington chicks (of various colors) from a breeder on the East coast. Two of the six chicks were extreme runts and died within two months. They never grew larger than a two week old size chick. Nor did they ever got any pin feathers other than on their wings. Both chicks never looked sick but they never grew. The photo below shows chicks that are six weeks old including one of the extreme runts. Early this year, I bought a dozen chocolate bantam orpington chicken eggs from a breeder in the mid-West. I hatched seven of them. Again we had two chicks with abnormalaties. One of them has a cross bill. A second one had a large patch of downy feathers next to his rump until he was two months old -long past when the others lost all their down. The rest were healthy and thrived. Is this abnormality rate of 33% normal for any chicken breed or just for bantam breeds or for orpingtons in general? Or did I just get a high number of problem chicks?
I've hatched quite a few myself and haven't seen anything like that in my chicks.

Of my 6 I have 4 hens and two little boys. One little boy is very little. Same as all the others in every way, but smaller. At hatch he pipped in the middle of a football shaped egg and hit a vessel. It took a lot of work but he made it. He was the same size then. They are English Chocolates. I wont say what line, but I doubt it has anything to do with the breeding. More just one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom