The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Here are the pics. the top and second makes me think it has to be a rooster, 3 combs, think feathers at the neck etc.
The third and lowest picture is what makes me doubt myself. I only have the two birds so I probably don't have a female to compare against. Comparing the two birds the one in the foreground is the one in question. It's smaller, the tail goes down more, it doesn't crow, it's not protective of the other chickens, it has far less saddle feathers, the thigh is fa less visible, the neck feathers are wider/ I want it to be a hen so I can start raising them, light brahmas that is. I like them as a breed although I got them by accident. I don't want to start with buying a baby pullet. But if it's a rooster it's a rooster and the sooner I know that the sooner I can buy a pullet. They were in the same batch day one April 27th 2016. Thank you for your help.

Thanks the more I looked into it the more I became convinced they were both roosters. Just didn't want it to be as I was told I had a boy and a girl. Thanks I'll be looking for a girl now. My leghorns don't make good mamas.

Thanks the more I looked into it the more I became convinced they were both roosters. Just didn't want it to be as I was told I had a boy and a girl. Thanks I'll be looking for a girl now. My leghorns don't make good mamas.

Thank you both. I hope I lucked out. A neighbor has been admiring my birds and I traded the rooster for a broody silky. Silkie is not the breed I wanted but I can at least get the cycle started. I'll buy some light brahma pullets in the spring. I thought he was a rooster but didn't want to accept the obvious especially after having the guy from the chicken farm tell me it was a hen. But he is what he is a rooster. The little girl next store is happy with her pretty black and white rooster. The poor silkie is smaller than all the other birds I have but I've been introducing her a little at a time. I had her in a cage next to the run and she kept jumping at the cage trying to get out I thought. Then I let her out and she kept jumping at the chicken wire around the run trying to get in with the other chickens. So I let her in under supervision in spirts. I'm sure with time she will be part of the flock.

Thank you both. I hope I lucked out. A neighbor has been admiring my birds and I traded the rooster for a broody silk. Silkie is not the breed I wanted but I can at least get the cycle started. I'll buy some light brahma pullets in the spring. I thought he was a rooster but didn't want to accept the obvious especially after having the guy from the chicken farm tell me it was a hen. But he is what he is a rooster. The little girl next store is happy with her pretty black and white rooster. With time I'm sure the silkie will be part of the flock.

Can anyone tell me if they think my Del is a rooster? ( the white one) her and the buff orp are 5 weeks old-the others are 4 weeks ( although my SLW is a lot smaller than the other two her same age)
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom