The Big Fat Is This A Rooster? Thread

Ok thanks! A friend who raises chickens was visiting our house last weekend and got me a little worried cause she mentioned the Del might be a roo, so I'll check back with better photos in a couple weeks, thanks again - first time chick owner lol
1f61d.png

I have 14 new chicks and they are 10 weeks old. I had a feeling from the third week that the SLW (Louise) is a rooster. His tail feathers have started to curl, red comb etc. The EE is the one I'm confused about. This is only my second year with chickens but my confusion is that I've had a couple roosters and they both had red combs early on, so did Louise. My EE (Birch) has no comb developement not even a bump or any color, but her/his tail feathers are curling. I already have one adult roo (Drum), plus my new SLW, I don't need a third. I'm hoping this is a fluke and he is really a she. Thoughts?

Birch EE

Louise SLW

Drum EE @ 1 year fall 2016

Last edited:
I have 14 new chicks and they are 10 weeks old. I had a feeling from the third week that the SLW (Louise) is a rooster. His tail feathers have started to curl, red comb etc. The EE is the one I'm confused about. This is only my second year with chickens but my confusion is that I've had a couple roosters and they both had red combs early on, so did Louise. My EE (Birch) has no comb developement not even a bump or any color, but her/his tail feathers are curling. I already have one adult roo (Drum), plus my new SLW, I don't need a third. I'm hoping this is a fluke and he is really a she. Thoughts?

Definitely a pullet.
Birch EE

I wouldn't say this is 100% cockerel yet, but am leaning toward cockerel.
Louise SLW

Birch EE

Louise SLW

Both 100% pullets.

Gorgeous cockbird there.

Thanks, he's pretty but he hates everyone but me. He only tolerates my husband if he has a scoop of chicken scratch.

Alright, me too please. I've got ten that were supposed to be pullets. I'm sure a little guy slips through the cracks every now and then though so I'm here to ask the professionals. This little Speckled Sussex is about 8 weeks old now and "her" comb and waddle (?) is coming in more pronounced than my others and way brighter red. Also feathered very differently from the other girls and when they do their chicken "fighting" in the run this one will puff up "her" neck feathers. I'm getting more and more concerned that its a little roo. I wouldn't mind, but ordinance says I can't keep a him. I really wanted a speckled sussex too, now I'm worried about sticking a new chick in there with the older girls if I can even find another one.

I'm going to add to this as well! I got a Speckled Sussex who was supposed to be a pullet, I am now doubting both of those characterizations:/! Any clue on breed and/or gender?! She is 6 weeks. Thanks!

Alright, me too please. I've got ten that were supposed to be pullets. I'm sure a little guy slips through the cracks every now and then though so I'm here to ask the professionals. This little Speckled Sussex is about 8 weeks old now and "her" comb and waddle (?) is coming in more pronounced than my others and way brighter red. Also feathered very differently from the other girls and when they do their chicken "fighting" in the run this one will puff up "her" neck feathers. I'm getting more and more concerned that its a little roo. I wouldn't mind, but ordinance says I can't keep a him. I really wanted a speckled sussex too, now I'm worried about sticking a new chick in there with the older girls if I can even find another one.

Cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom