THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

How big of wicks do u use. I've been running mine a day and it's at 54%. Just need a tip to jump the humidity during lockdown. Got 60 quail eggs in transit as I'm typing lol. Brinsea Oct 20 advance thanks. I will start a new post win the quail hatch begins.

The advance should have the humidity pump. You can't keep humidity up with the pump??

Without the pump, I used thin quilt batting with my last hatch, but you can use a thick paper towel (like Viva) or even a piece of an old t-shirt, lay it on the bottom, drape it through the water wells.

Also do u close the vent for higher humidity or open it?

I leave my vent open the whole time. It doesn't really affect the humidity. The eggs need the air exchange and circulation.

Also do u close the vent for higher humidity or open it?

I use the Viva towel method. Make sure one edge is touching the bottom of each reservoir. If I need an even bigger boost I drape a third one between the reservoirs over the ridge between them as well.

I try to get my humidity where I want it with the vent slightly closed so I have some control in both directions. I get about 5-7% between open and closed but ambient humidity might make things different for you. I've had successful hatches both open and closed. (Basically haven't had a bad hatch in the Brinsea yet but this is with chicken eggs.)

Honestly, I see pros and cons both ways also, but hand turning is out for me, so that makes it easier for me not to fret over.

Obviously I wouldn't chuck any egg, I was surprised when one of my worst detached ones even started! I think, had I not turned for a couple of days, it might have reatached, but what does that cost the others? The turner does tilt them wayyyy up on their side, so I can see that a gentle turning could be beneficial.
Slightly wobbly air cells seem to reattach within 48 hours, in my experience. Many times faster.

Oh, saddled ones.... If it slopes down opposite sides, but not all the way around... (like 3 and 9 o'clock, but not 6 and noon), i would recommend placing those perpendicular to the tilt. Hope that makes sense lol
Thanks WV for all your thoughts! Half of my shipped eggs started and all 8 of those hatched yesterday. No quitters.
celebrate.gif
Got lucky and had just a couple of jiggly cells. Even had a couple of porous eggs that hatched just fine. Only problem was one chick pipped the wrong end but with some minor intervention he hatched.

I know this is an old thread but hoping for info. I just got my incubator today and had it running all day. My temp stayed at 99.5 until I added eggs. Now it stays at 95 and flashes like its done heating. Why would it not go back up to 99.5 after adding eggs??? Anyone have this happen?

Yes. The eggs are colder than the aor in the incubator initially and will take about 24 hours to warm up to 99.5. Your incubator will have to wprk off and on to warm them up slowly.

Has anybody had a cradle making kind of like a ticking/popping noise constantly? I took my loaded incubator off from the cradle and the noise was still there, it seems to have gotten better over night but want to know it there is something i can do if the noise comes back

Has anybody had a cradle making kind of like a ticking/popping noise constantly? I took my loaded incubator off from the cradle and the noise was still there, it seems to have gotten better over night but want to know it there is something i can do if the noise comes back

Both of mine make horrible noises, most of the time. I have a big blanket in front and behind mine because I keep expecting the little plastic arm piece to break and dump my whole Bator. I've heard of it happening too many times.

I have put a little lubricant at the points where the incubator meets the cradle and it seemed to stop some of the creakiness on mine. With this latest setting of eggs the cradle has seemed to develop some sloppiness in the linkage and once the bator tilts to a specific point it moves a sudden distance with a bit of a jolt. I need to look at it more closely. Apparently you can purchase a new clutch for the turner. I'm wondering if it's getting worn or if something just needs a little tightening.

Back
Top Bottom