THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

As WV said, those temps are okay! I just got the 20 this winter and mine did not fluctuate as it rotated, that I noticed. Also, it can take awhile (a few hours) for the temp to regulate after you adjust it. But running anywhere from 99-101 will not hurt the eggs. Are these shipped eggs or local?
How did you know that I was wondering what your pm said??!!
gig.gif

you guys are the best. No wonder I have been here for SO many years and no matter how much I stray I always come back here to help and get help. I see my hatching support team already... LOL!!!!!!! ok, I have past my 'holy crud I'm going to have a baby (13of them) new pregnancy jitters. temp is holding 99.5 -99.9 even when it turns. I moved the bator to the dining room where the room temp is a steady 71 degrees, no drafts, no direct sunlight, and I also changed the digital thermometer location. It is now on the egg tray. I think its stable now. I am on hour 53!!!! I know, I know, quit looking at it so much! Cant help it! I have gone from scared crapless and bouncing off the walls, to finally eggcited and lets rock and roll!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Im going to have babies!!!!!!!!

thank you guys sooooo much for the help and support. going to go read the thread you guys suggested for 'newbies' like me. :)
clap.gif

RubyNala97, these were eggs that I drove 2800 miles round trip to pick up believe it or not. LOL!!!!! I was going to Ocala Florida from Ohio to see my Hubbys Mother. I met up with a few people from the Chickenista facebook page and the one lady has a beautiful top blood line Sultan that is my dream in life bird. I have 3 hatchery Sultans and am SO in love with them. This breed is an endangered breed and I want to help raise their numbers. SO, she told me when I was down there, to stop by and pick some up. so I did.... and that my friends, is the end of my life as I knew it.

you guys are the best. No wonder I have been here for SO many years and no matter how much I stray I always come back here to help and get help. I see my hatching support team already... LOL!!!!!!! ok, I have past my 'holy crud I'm going to have a baby (13of them) new pregnancy jitters.  temp is holding 99.5 -99.9 even when it turns. I moved the bator to the dining room where the room temp is a steady 71 degrees, no drafts, no direct sunlight, and I also changed the digital thermometer location. It is now on the egg tray. I think its stable now. I am on hour 53!!!! I know, I know, quit looking at it so much! Cant help it! I have gone from scared crapless and bouncing off the walls, to finally eggcited and lets rock and roll!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Im going to have babies!!!!!!!!

thank you guys sooooo much for the help and support. going to go read the thread you guys suggested for 'newbies' like me.  :):clap
Ok, 99.5-99.9? Now don't touch it any more :smack
Once you get to know me, you'll know that's a sign of my acceptance :gig

I have better hatches near 100.0 than I do at 99.0. You will drive yourself crazy chasing minute adjustments. Like WV said, the average temp is the goal, and those minor swings as the heating element pulses are not a big deal at all. If your average is between 99.5 and 100.0, I wouldn't touch it

Thank you for the wise words! I am new to this and I am so glad I found this thread!!! I feel much better about the swings now.

BTW, I'm on day 16 with a few ayem cemani eggs and I took your advice and have been running at 32-35% humidity so hopefully the lower humidity works. I have marked the air cells like you said on days 7 and 14 and they seem to be progressing normally. Thabks again

you guys are the best. No wonder I have been here for SO many years and no matter how much I stray I always come back here to help and get help. I see my hatching support team already... LOL!!!!!!! ok, I have past my 'holy crud I'm going to have a baby (13of them) new pregnancy jitters.  temp is holding 99.5 -99.9 even when it turns. I moved the bator to the dining room where the room temp is a steady 71 degrees, no drafts, no direct sunlight, and I also changed the digital thermometer location. It is now on the egg tray. I think its stable now. I am on hour 53!!!! I know, I know, quit looking at it so much! Cant help it! I have gone from scared crapless and bouncing off the walls, to finally eggcited and lets rock and roll!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!! Im going to have babies!!!!!!!!

thank you guys sooooo much for the help and support. going to go read the thread you guys suggested for 'newbies' like me.  :):clap

I agree totally! Everyone on this thread has responded with great tips and info! Thank you to everyone that is contributing!

Last edited:
Thank you for the wise words! I am new to this and I am so glad I found this thread!!! I feel much better about the swings now.

BTW, I'm on day 16 with a few ayem cemani eggs and I took your advice and have been running at 32-35% humidity so hopefully the lower humidity works. I have marked the air cells like you said on days 7 and 14 and they seem to be progressing normally. Thabks again
I agree totally! Everyone on this thread has responded with great tips and info! Thank you to everyone that is contributing!
Have you candled? I think that humidity will work out well for you

Just set 24 eggs in my brinsea octagon 20 for the first time on Thursday, Temp holding great so far, haven't candled yet. Love the auto turner, makes life easier. I set 7 in my brinsea mini yesterday. Only got 1 out of 9 last time... We shall see what happens. :)
I set 8 in the mini last week and am thinking of adding 3 more but not sure If I want to do a staggered hatch or save the 3 till I get more and set in the 20 next week. Hmmm...decisions, decisions. Good luck on the sets! I hope you update!
RubyNala97, these were eggs that I drove 2800 miles round trip to pick up believe it or not. LOL!!!!! I was going to Ocala Florida from Ohio to see my Hubbys Mother. I met up with a few people from the Chickenista facebook page and the one lady has a beautiful top blood line Sultan that is my dream in life bird. I have 3 hatchery Sultans and am SO in love with them. This breed is an endangered breed and I want to help raise their numbers. SO, she told me when I was down there, to stop by and pick some up. so I did.... and that my friends, is the end of my life as I knew it.
Oh my goodness, that's quite a road trip! My sister-in-law is from Ocala and I used to live in Satasota but moved back to New York. How were the air cells when you got home? Any jiggly from the trip?? I'm excited for you to get these eggs from a great blood line. I've been working hard to have quality stock also. Good luck on these eggs. 21 days will fly by!!
Yes I candled on day 7 and 14. It's only 4 eggs but they are all developing well and the air cells are growing as they should according to your pic you posted earlier. I'm keeping my fingers crossed !!! Thank you for the help
Good job! And good luck!! :)

Back
Top Bottom