THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

The super blues came from PA to GA. Facebook Michael Sherwood.

You can't say super blue and not post a picture
wink.png

Well got my Octagon 20 Eco cleaned, up and running so I can figure it all out before the eggs are shipped on the 14th. Temps in the glass thermometer seem to be reading around 100.2 +, but it's hard to tell because there's a gap in the blue line - like an air bubble in the mercury. We took it off and shook it down, and it's not as bad as it was, but still hard to get an accurate reading. The digital with the probe at egg top level is reading 98.7 or so most of the time. So if I read previous posts, I should be fine because the average incubator temps will be about right. Humidity is holding steady at 37%.

So begins another new chicken adventure at Oleo Acres!

Well got my Octagon 20 Eco cleaned, up and running so I can figure it all out before the eggs are shipped on the 14th.  Temps in the glass thermometer seem to be reading around 100.2 +, but it's hard to tell because there's a gap in the blue line - like an air bubble in the mercury.  We took it off and shook it down, and it's not as bad as it was, but still hard to get an accurate reading.  The digital  with the probe at egg top level is reading 98.7 or so most of the time.  So if I read previous posts, I should be fine because the average incubator temps will be about right.  Humidity is holding steady at 37%.

:celebrate Good luck :fl

My fingers are itchy and I can't wait to get mine out and set up. Setting for the HAL on Saturday (eggs arrival permitting) so I'm going to bust it out of its box Thursday/Friday :yiipchick

That's pretty creative using the egg carton cups to hold the eggs.  How's your hatch rates with the manual turns?  I try to avoid handling the eggs during incubation as I am told that could decrease hatch rate.

Excellent! My last 4 hatches were 100%,100%, 90%, 90%. I think hand turning is better for eggs anyway. I've read that the full turn from one side to the other, exercises the embryo and promotes circulation, (better then the slow rotating of an auto-turner) and creates stronger chicks. But I do always thoroughly wash my hands before I open and touch them.

Well got my Octagon 20 Eco cleaned, up and running so I can figure it all out before the eggs are shipped on the 14th.  Temps in the glass thermometer seem to be reading around 100.2 +, but it's hard to tell because there's a gap in the blue line - like an air bubble in the mercury.  We took it off and shook it down, and it's not as bad as it was, but still hard to get an accurate reading.  The digital  with the probe at egg top level is reading 98.7 or so most of the time.  So if I read previous posts, I should be fine because the average incubator temps will be about right.  Humidity is holding steady at 37%.

My Eco 20 was shipped to me this winter and the blue in the thermometer was separated at the end, by like a quarter of an inch and I called customer service and they said to heat some water on the stove and dip the thermometer in, just long enough until all the blue rises to the very top and then let it cool in a vertical position (I put it in a cup) and it should all settle back down together. I tried once and it didn't work but I'm going to try again, if not they said they'd replace it. But it might be worth a try with yours.

:celebrate Good luck :fl

My fingers are itchy and I can't wait to get mine out and set up. Setting for the HAL on Saturday (eggs arrival permitting) so I'm going to bust it out of its box Thursday/Friday :yiipchick

:frow good luck on the set!

@RubyNala97

Hatch rates of 90% and 100% are incredible.  This means the eggs have to be all fertile to begin with, in addition to perfect incubating techniques.  Wow! 

Thanks!! Honestly, I started my flock from shipped eggs and since shipped eggs are so difficult, I was determined to research and experiment, and take notes every single day, to get the most chicks out of each batch of shipped eggs that I could. This was excellent practice for me. So by the time I had my own eggs, I had my incubation methods down pat. And I love the mini. It's dependable and consistent. And yes, my fertility has been 100%...1 boy to 4 girls for breeding purposes.

@RubyNala97

Just in case I missed it, do you have both the 20 and the mini? And you like the mini better?

Also - do you let them hatch in the mini or do you use something else for hatching?

Thanks
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom