THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

What is everyone's thoughts about purchasing a Brinsea 20 used? I saw one the other day but wondered about disinfection, etc.

caf.gif

RubyNala- Try taping the edges of your incubator lid. I have 3 Brinseas and I have paper towels under the tray covering the bottom during lockdown and I tape the lid edges with painters tape to help hold humidity. I live in the desert so everything dries crazy fast. I also do it so my kids don't walk by and pop open the lid during hatches when they hear the first peeps. Lol

I will definitely try this! Someone else was just telling me about putting tape over the little hole that has the water drops next to it. I have a roll of that blue painters tape too! Thanks for the tip!

Are these the call eggs that you were going to order before, or ones from a friend?  That's exciting!

These would be from Ravyn!! :ya

Came home after work and the incubator was at 85 and really loud.   Pretty sure my eggs are toast.  I don't have an open incubator to move my eggs to. I moved them to an incubator that is on lock down.  Anyone ever done this and they were ok.

I'm sorry to hear this! Yes, I've had to move eggs in with lockdown eggs. It should be ok, you might want to run a little dryer after you get them out of lockdown if you think the higher humidity slowed down growth on the air cells. But it might not either, so just keep an eye on the growth.

What is everyone's thoughts about purchasing a Brinsea 20 used?  I saw one the other day but wondered about disinfection, etc.

:caf

Brinsea's hold their value. Before I bought mine new, I was always looking for used ones. But all the used that I would find would only be slightly cheaper. So if you can find a good deal, go for it!

What is everyone's thoughts about purchasing a Brinsea 20 used? I saw one the other day but wondered about disinfection, etc.

caf.gif

As far as disinfecting, I would think you could do it with Lysol without causing issues.

With that said, I have to be completely honest, I would not buy the ECO again ( I got a great deal on a used one BTW ). The internal temp swings from 98.7 to 100.4 depending on the temps in my house. My house swings from 67-72 degrees all the time, not much I can do about that. I don't see that as a huge temp swing but what do I know? The humidity is very hard to maintain above 65% during lockdown and I live in Louisiana so humidity is always high. I've read that it's because the fan in the ECO is so strong. I'm sure if I could keep my house at a constant temp 24/7 this would not be an issue. I drive myself crazy trying to adjust the temps all the time when I probably should just leave it alone. I have to add water every 12 hours during lockdown to maintain a minimum of 65% RH. If I don't, humidity starts to drop quickly. Just my experience.

I have not had a very good hatch rate in the first 5 hatches. To be fair, I think I was running the RH too high for the first 18 days. I took scflock's advice and ran this hatch at 35%. I have 4 Ayem Cemani eggs in lockdown on day 20 today and they looked good on candling before lockdown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about this hatch. Just wanted to give my .02. Hope I didn't ramble on for too long. Good Luck

caf.gif

If I found a deal on a used one I would jump all over it. You don't often see them for sale, and being made of ABS plastic I wouldn't be concerned about disinfecting. They are extremely easy to clean

My first Eco 20 was purchased used from a BYC member. It was missing the cap over the temperature adjuster and a couple of the dividers, but it worked fine. I later bought another new one from Brinsea, and there's no difference between the two in terms of performance. I later lost the cap to the new Eco as well. If you have an Eco, you'd know why. We take the cap off to adjust the temperature, and don't put it back. I lost it after the first hatch. I agree with scflock.

@RubyNala97 I remember reading somewhere on here how someone uses the first day or so in the incubator to help the air sacs in shipped eggs reattach. Was that you? If it was, could you point me back to the post? I"ve tried the "Search the thread" feature but must be using the wrong keywords.....

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to bash, I'm not. My wife tells me to STOP STRESSING OUT!!!! I worry about this stuff way too much LOL. Once this hatch is over, I am going to report my results back so that everyone that has given advice will know if it worked.

If I found a deal on a used one I would jump all over it. You don't often see them for sale, and being made of ABS plastic I wouldn't be concerned about disinfecting. They are extremely easy to clean

x2!

These would be from Ravyn!!
ya.gif

wee.gif
Super! I wasn't going to mention names if you didn't! I'm tickled for you!!!

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to bash, I'm not. My wife tells me to STOP STRESSING OUT!!!! I worry about this stuff way too much LOL. Once this hatch is over, I am going to report my results back so that everyone that has given advice will know if it worked.

I didn't take it as bashing! All feedback is good in my book, not just the good stuff. Not everyone has great things to say, but everyone has the right to express their opinion! Please do let us know how this hatch goes.

As far as disinfecting, I would think you could do it with Lysol without causing issues.

With that said, I have to be completely honest, I would not buy the ECO again ( I got a great deal on a used one BTW ). The internal temp swings from 98.7 to 100.4 depending on the temps in my house. My house swings from 67-72 degrees all the time, not much I can do about that. I don't see that as a huge temp swing but what do I know?  The humidity is very hard to maintain above 65% during lockdown and I live in Louisiana so humidity is always high. I've read that it's because the fan in the ECO is so strong. I'm sure if I could keep my house at a constant temp 24/7 this would not be an issue. I drive myself crazy trying to adjust the temps all the time when I probably should just leave it alone. I have to add water every 12 hours during lockdown to maintain a minimum of 65% RH. If I don't, humidity starts to drop quickly. Just my experience.

I have not had a very good hatch rate in the first 5 hatches. To be fair, I think I was running the RH too high for the first 18 days. I took scflock's advice and ran this hatch at 35%. I have 4 Ayem Cemani eggs in lockdown on day 20 today and they looked good on candling before lockdown. I'm keeping my fingers crossed about this hatch. Just wanted to give my .02. Hope I didn't ramble on for too long. Good Luck 
I am really looking forward to the results of this hatch :fl

Back
Top Bottom