THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

Does anyone want to fathom a guess as to how many silkie eggs I can fit into the Brinsea advance 20? I've searched high and low for an answer! I've got 3 dozen coming Wednesday (hopefully) and I'm sure there will be some extras :celebrate just want to be prepared.. Should I fire up my Eco too?

@RubyNala97
 I remember reading somewhere on here how someone uses the first day or so in the incubator to help the air sacs in shipped eggs reattach.  Was that you?  If it was, could you point me back to the post?  I"ve tried the "Search the thread" feature but must be using the wrong keywords.....

Blooie, it may have been me but not on this thread. But I can give you my rundown on shipped eggs...(and you can always pm me if you have more questions).

When you unwrap them, do so carefully, and gently candle to see how damaged the air cells are. If they are ok (solid in the fat end) treat them like regular eggs. Check to see if they are loose or wobbly or totally detached. I mark the totally detached ones. Then I let them rest 12 hours outside the incubator. Once I set them, fat end up, in the incubator, I don't touch them or turn them for 24 hours. If the air cells were not that bad then I start tilting them at a 45 degree angle. If they were bad, I wait another 24 hours. By day 3, I tilt them by hand 45 degrees, 5xday. By day 12 the air cells will be solid, even if they are in saddle or weird shapes. (by day 12, the CAM takes over like a balloon inside the egg, and seals the air cells in place). So you have those first 12 days to do all you can to heal any damage. But I truly think they need to be tilted by day 3. Really the amount of damage should be your guide as to how much time to Hold off tilting/turning, either 24 or 48 hours). And you can stop turning a day or 2 early. Usually around day 16. Because the air cells can be strange shapes, the chicks can have a hard time getting into position. So I give them an extra day or two to try and get positioned. Also, you can trace the air cell once draw down starts to make sure the chick pips into the air cell. Shipped eggs can need more assistance at hatch time. This was a mouthful!

Well, my dear, that could explain why I couldn't find the right keywords to search for myself!
he.gif
And of course I was SO convinced that I saw it on here that I never looked anywhere else. DUH, Diane!! I always prefer to search first, ask second. It generally saves everyone a lot of time that way. So thanks!

I marked this page so I can find the exact post again when the eggs get here. You have been very helpful and I sure appreciate it. Believe me, if I get into panic mode I'm sure PMs will be flying like confetti during a parade!
lau.gif

Does anyone want to fathom a guess as to how many silkie eggs I can fit into the Brinsea advance 20? I've searched high and low for an answer! I've got 3 dozen coming Wednesday (hopefully) and I'm sure there will be some extras :celebrate just want to be prepared.. Should I fire up my Eco too?

You can fit 36 silkie eggs! Don't know how many extras. I only used 2 rails and let the eggs support each other.

I hope nobody thinks I'm trying to bash, I'm not. My wife tells me to STOP STRESSING OUT!!!! I worry about this stuff way too much LOL. Once this hatch is over, I am going to report my results back so that everyone that has given advice will know if it worked.
oh that's right!!!! you and I are in the same boat. Our first hatches. Have no fear, I am stressing out at much as you! although now that the first few days are behind me, I am a little more confident on doing THAT part again. LOL!!!!!!!!

Well, my dear, that could explain why I couldn't find the right keywords to search for myself!
he.gif
And of course I was SO convinced that I saw it on here that I never looked anywhere else. DUH, Diane!! I always prefer to search first, ask second. It generally saves everyone a lot of time that way. So thanks!

I marked this page so I can find the exact post again when the eggs get here. You have been very helpful and I sure appreciate it. Believe me, if I get into panic mode I'm sure PMs will be flying like confetti during a parade!
lau.gif

Blooie, I can attest to the fact that Ruby did tons of research on shipped eggs, and if I ever do shipped eggs, I'll be following her advice to a "T"
big_smile.png

Shipped eggs are sooooooo different from hatching your own or local eggs! I'm kind of dreading this next batch, only because there is often unseen damage that can't be fixed, even with following a 'perfect' incubating:turning technique.

Shipped eggs are hit and miss. Sometimes I've had amazing results...others a total bust. Atlanta is roughest on eggs. If my eggs coming from the east coast go through that sorting facility my results are usually terrible. Supposed to be the largest sorting facility in the us... Sometimes you just have to chance it, I guess, to build your dream flock. :p;)

You can always double stack too until you candle on day 7. Once you pull blanks you'd have plenty of room to move eggs around.

Back
Top Bottom