THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

How do you guys clean out the yellow plastic base? I thought it was all plastic so last time I soaked it in disenfectant then when I picked it up, it weighed a thousand pounds. I took the screws out and found that the inside has foam, wood and metal inside it! Took forever for me to air dry the whole thing out. This time I just wiped it all down with a cloth soaked in disinfectant. So what's everyone best way to clean this thing?

How do you guys clean out the yellow plastic base? I thought it was all plastic so last time I soaked it in disenfectant then when I picked it up, it weighed a thousand pounds. I took the screws out and found that the inside has foam, wood and metal inside it! Took forever for me to air dry the whole thing out. This time I just wiped it all down with a cloth soaked in disinfectant. So what's everyone best way to clean this thing?

I fill my sink up with anti bac cleaner then I hold the base over it and using a cloth I wipe it all out. I've not described that very well I don't think but I hope you get the gist of it :D If the wells are pretty caked up I soak them for a while and tip the water out very quickly so it does not get in the base insides.

I fill my sink up with anti bac cleaner then I hold the base over it and using a cloth I wipe it all out. I've not described that very well I don't think but I hope you get the gist of it :D If the wells are pretty caked up I soak them for a while and tip the water out very quickly so it does not get in the base insides.

Ok, thank you!! Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I did! They should have a warning somewhere that says don't submerge base...now that I think of it, it probably says that in the manual! :/

Ok, thank you!! Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I did! They should have a warning somewhere that says don't submerge base...now that I think of it, it probably says that in the manual! :/

I think there is a warning in there about submerging the base and the lid :D

I found once you get the knack of holding over the sink and the other hand wiping out it got easier. As long as all the crap is out and it's dried well I've never had a problem.

Last edited:
I spray mine with some antibacterial stuff, wipe it out, then use my sink sprayer to rinse it real good, just spraying inside the base. (and all over the kitchen, of course lol)

I use a bleach solution, soak my felt and sponges, spray out the bator holding it over the sink, then with my rag, squeeze some bleach water into the wells, wipe it out and let it dry without rinsing. I take apart the lid and wipe what I can with bleach and use a q tip to get the fuzz out of the fan.

Question for all you brinsea Eco owners.
I am curious if there are any main advantages of paying the extra $$ for the digital(advance) octagon 20.
It's such a huge price difference, and I am a big hands on person. I am looking for a incubator that is totally reliable, and will hold at least the 20 egg capacity.
I read earlier in posts from 2013 that people were having issues with temp flux when they rotated the incubator backwards.
Has anyone had this problem recently?

I am debating between the incukit from incubator ware house and brinsea Eco ....

Back
Top Bottom