THE Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco Thread; Hatches, etc. (PICS)

I've seen pictures of people stacking and removing the dividers, so I might give it a go. I haven't actually put the eggs in yet; waiting for the Brinsea to get up to temp. If it gets too tricky or dicey, I'll just fit as many as I can and save the rest for breakfast. :)

i thought me getting 25 in there was stuffing it. do you have a lot of pullet eggs or? i don't know what either of those breeds' eggs really look like but i guess i assumed BOs would be big! :)

I just finished hatching 7 Buff Orpington eggs and I guarantee you that you wouldn't put more than 2 doz of these in there without taking out dividers or stacking eggs. There is no way I would ever hatch that many in the Brinsea. I incubate in it then move them to my Hova Bator for hatching. My chicks could not stand upright without their heads touching the grid inside the Brinsea. I've only used it one time for hatching and I don't like it at all. May be okay for Bantams etc but I don't like it for LF chicks. I love it for incubating, main reason being that it comes back up to temp/humidity so quick after candling etc. The Hova Bators have a lot more room for larger hatches. I personally don't like to open the lids on any of them once I put eggs into lock down. JMO BUT, hey, whatever work for you all is just super great. We all have our opinions and if your way works for you then I say, go for it. lol
Jim

Oh, I don't intent to hatch 30 eggs in there, LOL. In my checking for fertiles in the weeks prior, I have noticed that I'm only getting 70-80 % fertile, so I expect that once I candle, the incubator will be down to normal capacity.

I hatched 10 poults and 5 chicks last May, and it sure was a fuzzy, messy, tight squeeze by the time they were all out! 24 chicks should be a riot...

i started with 25, took one out for infertility, and still have 24. after taking dividers out, i still had room for my biggish hydrometer. i do have five small (pullet) eggs in there, though i also have 4 big old marans eggs too. i hatched 23 of 24 when i did my last hatch at the montessori school and it was crowded but ok. i always take some birds out after they are fluffy...only after getting the humidity in the bathroom up to over 70 and taking bator in there before opening (i keep shower running into tub with stopper in).

i started with 25, took one out for infertility, and still have 24. after taking dividers out, i still had room for my biggish hydrometer. i do have five small (pullet) eggs in there, though i also have 4 big old marans eggs too. i hatched 23 of 24 when i did my last hatch at the montessori school and it was crowded but ok. i always take some birds out after they are fluffy...only after getting the humidity in the bathroom up to over 70 and taking bator in there before opening (i keep shower running into tub with stopper in).
LOL you sure have it down pat. Please, I wasn't saying it can't be done, it's just that I wouldn't want to do it. After only have a small amount hatch in mine, I can't imagine 15 or 20 LF chicks in there at once. lol I wish you all the best of luck.
Jim

I fit 30 in there! I used the method shown in this YouTube video - no dividers, 7 staggered columns of 4 each - plus I stacked the two extra on top. I had miscounted, as well; I only have 4 Buckeye eggs, but 26 BO eggs. Will post pics tomorrow or Mon, as I find time.

I knew that is how it had to be done and it seems fine with me but I can't imagine what you would do if they were all fertile. Can't imagine trying to hatch that many little ones in there. lol I wish you the best with your hatch.
Jim

Oh, I didn't think you were. :)

Just saying how I move mine out a few at a time so it doesn't get too crowded. I also take the eggshells out when I take out the chicks in the steamy bathroom...really helps make room!
LOL you sure have it down pat. Please, I wasn't saying it can't be done, it's just that I wouldn't want to do it. After only have a small amount hatch in mine, I can't imagine 15 or 20 LF chicks in there at once. lol I wish you all the best of luck.
Jim

Just put 16 Midget white turkey eggs in my Oct-20 eco,
Wish me luck ....
Looking for guidance on the range of humidity people have had success with during incubation. The dry incubation method says 25-35 % RH should be ok, anyone run their Oct20 in this range during incubation ?

I have the room humidity at 60-65%, and so far the hygrometer inside the Oct20 is reading 22%, but it has only been running for 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom