• Other Hatchery

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • BYC member

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Other

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters
Pics

I just picked up a buff duck from a local here in town.  She has a lot of white on her and I am wondering if this is a buff trait?  Most buffs I see have very little white.  Do you think she is a mixed breed?  If so, what other breed do you think she is?  Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot the picture. I edited my post with the pictures. Here are a few more. What do you think?

Last edited:
She looks like a buff - not show quality, but a buff! Mine's not show quality either, she has white wingtips. She's still beautiful.

I also have a question. I'm beginning to think that 4 of the 5 "buff" ducks I got are actually pekin. They are 4 weeks old and beginning to look mostly white. The one that doesn't look all white looks more like a runner/buff cross.

Does anyone have pictures of 3-5 week old buff ducks that they can post so I can get a comparison? I can probably load some pictures of mine this evening, they're huge. The one that looks like a runner cross isn't quite so huge, but still large.

She looks like a buff - not show quality, but a buff! Mine's not show quality either, she has white wingtips. She's still beautiful.

I also have a question. I'm beginning to think that 4 of the 5 "buff" ducks I got are actually pekin. They are 4 weeks old and beginning to look mostly white. The one that doesn't look all white looks more like a runner/buff cross.

Does anyone have pictures of 3-5 week old buff ducks that they can post so I can get a comparison? I can probably load some pictures of mine this evening, they're huge. The one that looks like a runner cross isn't quite so huge, but still large.

Thanks for the input. I love her white even if she isn't show quality
big_smile.png
. All I am looking for is some eggs and a fun personality!

Do you have any pictures of your ducklings? I would love to see them. Sounds like an interesting cross.

Thanks for the input. I love her white even if she isn't show quality
big_smile.png
. All I am looking for is some eggs and a fun personality!

Do you have any pictures of your ducklings? I would love to see them. Sounds like an interesting cross.
It does! But I will be a little disappointed. I wanted ducks that wouldn't stick out a mile and would be the same weight as my lonely buff duck so there's no bullying going on. She's pretty critter savvy, so I'm crossing my fingers that these young ones will defer to her.

I have some older pictures - one of the adult and one of the ducklings a week old. If I can get my hands on the adapter after DH comes home from work, I'll post some current ones.

The smallest one at the top had some sort of feather-fused bottom, so he was a day behind in growth - he's not anymore. The one at the very bottom now has a very dark head and underbelly and stands a little straighter than the others with a beak that runs in more of a straight line with his head. The others "appear" to be all white, but I think that can change in the next 4-5 weeks. They will still be loved, but I will be more of a nervous wreck....

Back
Top Bottom