The building of Pea Palace(Pic Heavy)

oh the advice about plants , to keep predators away......just ask and hunter...none of those bushes will help.. matter of fact , most animal use those to hide in. best the areas clear around pens and use the electric hot wire.

animals don't normal like to cross large clear areas, bushes like roses and etc. is where wild animal go into to hide.(rabbits or any fur animal) If any plants use tall trees for shade

The roses wouldn't be grown as bushes. The long, thorny canes would be spread out and attached along the wire, like this:

The roses wouldn't be grown as bushes. The long, thorny canes would be spread out and attached along the wire, like this:

yes may look nice , but again ask any hunter....wild animal will even hide in those.....heck even wild birds will nest in them. plus good luck pruning those growing thru the wire......a nightmare....best to keep wire bare , protected with hot wire. Like raccoon will run thru wild roses , to throw dogs off their trail.

They can be planted for looks ,but don't think they will keep predators at bay.

Resolution,,go to e-bay and type them in the search box,,I got mine from a guy in Minnesota,,he sent me BIG sprigs to start with,many 3/4-1" thick and about 1 foot long.Throw them in a bucket of water in a dark place for 3 days and they will sprout white roots,,then just hollow out a small home,fill with water and shove them root first into the hole. They aren't supposed to drop branches like a willow,,,and are stronger than a willow.My problem here is when we get a deep snow in winter,the **** rabbits will eat the bark around them,some bad enough to kill them.They can grow over 8' per year with adequate water,,I watered mine heavy the first year and last year they was on their own.Great windbreaks,especially if planted in a double row.

I ordered the top netting Tuesday along with 1000' of 1/8" cable.I hope it arrives today so some progress can be made over the weekend.But our weekend is fast being filled with other priorities. Daughter of 16 yrs of age decided she needs a car for college next year,,we found one and if all goes well tomorrow we will go pick up the car.Another obstacle,,our first love here is German Shepherds,,and we have a female due anytime,,as in a few hours or less,and this wll eat up round the clock supervision until she is done.I need to go buy 4 rolls of 2x4" welded wire,plus I need to bring a friends camper home from being repaired because a few meth-head,deadbeat kids decided to break into it this past winter and steal the flat screen televisions he had inside.But maybe I can string the cable on top of the posts for holding the netting up,and get some sheet metal attached along the bottom for pen divisions.

yes may look nice , but again ask any hunter....wild animal will even hide in those.....heck even wild birds will nest in them. plus good luck pruning those growing thru the wire......a nightmare....best to keep wire bare , protected with hot wire. Like raccoon will run thru wild roses , to throw dogs off their trail.

They can be planted for looks ,but don't think they will keep predators at bay.

I was thinking about the whole rose idea and asked my dad "Hey dad, predators can get through roses right?" My dad told me that when he used to go raccoon hunting all the time on several occasions raccoons would climb up large thorn or rose bushes to try and escape because they knew it would be a hard place to catch them. If they are really hungry they can get through the stuff. That thick fur isn't just for staying warm or dry it can protect them from thorns. Still, the rose bushes would be very pretty and I definitely would plant some around a pen for the aethstetic quality.

My dad said he would start building me a new pen after deer season. He still hasn't started. His new excuse is after he finishes building the pond.
roll.png

When we built the large pen I was so happy when the netting came in, but then we realized how much of a chore it would be to get it up. It wasn't really too bad. It took 3 people and we used brooms and stuff to drape it over the posts and things.

I was thinking about the whole rose idea and asked my dad "Hey dad, predators can get through roses right?" My dad told me that when he used to go raccoon hunting all the time on several occasions raccoons would climb up large thorn or rose bushes to try and escape because they knew it would be a hard place to catch them. If they are really hungry they can get through the stuff. That thick fur isn't just for staying warm or dry it can protect them from thorns. Still, the rose bushes would be very pretty and I definitely would plant some around a pen for the aethstetic quality.

My dad said he would start building me a new pen after deer season. He still hasn't started. His new excuse is after he finishes building the pond.
roll.png

When we built the large pen I was so happy when the netting came in, but then we realized how much of a chore it would be to get it up. It wasn't really too bad. It took 3 people and we used brooms and stuff to drape it over the posts and things.

yes wasn't really knocking the idea of bushes for their looks.......just no good to keep predators away.....been there. racoons ,coyotes, foxes all will go thru them or over them. matter of fact could hurt , give them something to climb higher than the metal sides.

Aquaeyes...the idea sound good.....may keep two legged predator away ,but thats about all

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom