The coyotes are back

Please do not trap and release predator or pest animals....if  you're going to trap it, kill it.
It's unhealthy and usually illegal to relocate/release.

I usually trap small animals like raccoons and I do usually kill them if they're what I'm after. I didn't say I kill them because not everyone agrees with that. Also I make sure everything I do from trapping, releasing, and killing the animal is completely leagal in my state and county, I have spoken with DNR officers about legal matters on what I do.

Last edited:
Do you trap for fur?
Do you trap for fur?
On this forum killing trapped animals is SOP, unless it's a pet dog or cat.....or chicken

The only reason I trap is because raccoons were getting in my coop and run but I haven't had any problems with them for a while so I haven't been trapping so the answer is no I do not trap for fur. What's SOP?

I usually trap small animals like raccoons and I do usually kill them if they're what I'm after. I didn't say I kill them because not everyone agrees with that. Also I make sure everything I do from trapping, releasing, and killing the animal is completely leagal in my state and county, I have spoken with DNR officers about legal matters on what I do.

I just wanted to say, "THANK YOU for following your local laws. They're there to keep nuisance animals in check and not unwittingly dump them for someone else to have to deal with ;)

On the coyote subject, as mentioned dogs are a good deterrent, as is a shotgun :D

Eta: my mom uses firecrackers, to make them think she's shooting at them. Firecrackers are cheaper than shells, too ;)

Last edited:
I just wanted to say, "THANK YOU for following your local laws. They're there to keep nuisance animals in check and not unwittingly dump them for someone else to have to deal with
wink.png

On the coyote subject, as mentioned dogs are a good deterrent, as is a shotgun
big_smile.png

Eta: my mom uses firecrackers, to make them think she's shooting at them. Firecrackers are cheaper than shells, too
wink.png
And consumer grade fireworks are illegal in my state; however, coyotes may be taken anytime with a continual season and no limits. It's also illegal here to relocate nuisance animals.

I can hear coyotes often at night, and they're not far away, often within a couple hundred yards. I don't actively hunt them; dependent on the situation, I'll take it if I see it. I need a certain amount of predators to keep rabbits in check, which I also predate to protect garden and landscaping.

My main protections for the birds are mostly passive actions. Though we do free-range when we're home, the birds are always locked up at night in the totally closed coop. The coop is also situated in an open area. The coop is not backed up against a tree line or cover, and the predators have to cross a lot of open ground to be out there. I find they don't care to do that too much. Not that they won't, but when they do, they find a secure coop.

If I put out a trap, it's only so I can get the target nuisance animal stationary for a quick dispatch.

Well that figures that fireworks would be illegal there; they work pretty good for my mom...

We have them in the cornfields quite often, but I don't really worry too much, because we have a dog. I've had more problems with the small sneaky ones like weasels and coons. My dad has llamas by his sheep but he used to use solar powered coyote deterrent boxes.. They were more like a radio and put out a white noise, and that kept them from the barns too.

I'm not usually one to go actively hunting for predators, but if they come to me, they're fair game. It's also illegal here to relocate, unless it's a rabbit or a toad, (don't ask lol, its a weird law) so dispatch is what we do if we see them stalking the yard too much. Otherwise, we need some predators, like you say, to keep mice, rabbits, rattlesnakes etc at bay.

We have snares, but haven't used them yet because I don't want to hurt any cats. We traumatized a couple cats with dog proof coon traps last year, and constantly had cats in the live traps, so the cats cause more problems with trapping than it is to try.

Dumb cats :p

A couple weeks ago, I got up after daylight and a bit later heard the chickens making all kinds of racket.
Stepped outside to look and there was a coyote between 2 coops staring at me.
They wake us up at night with their howling and screaming right across the road from our house.
I go out and clap real loud (2 - 2x4 slapped together works too) and they run off.

Back
Top Bottom