the cutest thing ive ever seen a chicken do is this normal

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
hi i have a broody hen that had only one egg make it too lock down and got one chick the chick is now two weeks old and the other hen bully the mama so i let the bigger breeds free range while mama and baby have the run and i go to open the run so they can go roost and i have a plastic tote on the floor with shavings in it so the mother and baby can have a safe place to sleep so i went too open the run door when i seen mother hen on the roost and her baby was sitting on the roost with her under her wing this is my first broody hen so i dont know if this is normal for her too start roosting soon but it was so cute iv never seen a hen do any thing like that

It is a cute sight! At two weeks old the chick probably has enough wing feathers to get on the roost if it isn't too high. And it is a normal thing for them to do if they are able to. Momma will keep the chick covered with her wing and it won't get chilled next to her. ;)
Thanks I did not want the chick too fall of the biger hens would have come in and pecked at them so I took them down but if they do it again I will let them stay thanks

Ok here she is with her baby up on the roost
20180609_193312.jpg
20180609_193307.jpg
20180609_193301.jpg

Back
Top Bottom