The DONKEY/MULE CLUB!!!!!!!!

Just found this threat as well, I just got a mammoth filly (grandma finally let me get a baby
1f60a.png
) and she's a spit fire. She's 11 months old

Yours are adorable. Sheena (mine) was really fluffy too but we shaved her cause she just had dreads. She's a real ---, lemme tell ya ;) but she's also my baby. I fell off my mare today and I couldn't get up and the mare was freaking out and my donkey came up and chased the mare off and sat with me until I was able to get up and she never left my side. I'll bring a blanket out to the pasture and lay there and she'll lay with me. She's a sweetheart

Last edited:
Donkeys are nothing like a horse I'm sure you're finding out, they are more like dogs, big pushy dogs who can never get close enough, that pic was a couple of months ago, they have shed out and are now starting on their winter coats, the white one is Dakota, she's 28, the other two are her son's, Wilbur on the left, 18, and Mr. Ed , whose 17. I like the hairy ears of yours, she is very cute.

Donkeys are nothing like a horse I'm sure you're finding out, they are more like dogs, big pushy dogs who can never get close enough, that pic was a couple of months ago, they have shed out and are now starting on their winter coats, the white one is Dakota, she's 28, the other two are her son's, Wilbur on the left, 18, and Mr. Ed , whose 17. I like the hairy ears of yours, she is very cute.
oh yes. I absolutely love her. She's the pushiest, sweetest thing. She's extremely smart too. I knew donkeys were smart but this donkey has figured out how to open 4 different locks that are on the feed room door. We've even used clips and she's gotten them undone. I think she thinks she's a lap dog, I have bruises from where she's plopped her big butt on me. Mr. Ed looks pretty big haha. They're all adorable though. She loves her big ears rubbed and will go to sleep as I'm rubbing them. I'm excited to start breaking her next year, I plan to take her to college with me. She's nothin like my horses at all.

Back in the day I would ride my donkeys, you have to adapt horse tack, their heads are bigger and they have no withers, so a butt strap, not the proper term, is needed so you don't slide forward, but maybe you know this. Training is way different too as you can't whip them, donkeys drop down when they are frightened where horses run, so sometimes your donkey may not want to move forward, just like in old movies, and they are very sensitive to any punishment and remember everything for a very long time, so if you do something wrong it can take years to regain their trust. They certainly don't look as intelligent as they are, and it's sad how many are abused because they are misunderstood. Yours sounds like she has a great home.

Back in the day I would ride my donkeys, you have to adapt horse tack, their heads are bigger and they have no withers, so a butt strap, not the proper term, is needed so you don't slide forward, but maybe you know this. Training is way different too as you can't whip them, donkeys drop down when they are frightened where horses run, so sometimes your donkey may not want to move forward, just like in old movies, and they are very sensitive to any punishment and remember everything for a very long time, so if you do something wrong it can take years to regain their trust. They certainly don't look as intelligent as they are, and it's sad how many are abused because they are misunderstood. Yours sounds like she has a great home.

Oh she's spoiled rotten. I try to be as gentle as possible with her, she bites though so that's about the only time she gets disciplined. And I need to do my research on donkey breaking, we've never had a donkey but I've broke ponies before. We had bought a mule saddle awhile back in a bundle deal, would that work or..? And I've heard about the crazy memory, I don't believe in whips anyways. Very rarely do I even use one on my horses. We'll both be learning so it should be a... Interesting... Experience. She's a spit fire. So I have a feeling she's gonna be a pain cause she's so stubborn. When we bought her she was with her full brother who was atleast 16 hands, so she's gonna be huge. Do you know of anyway to stop them from kicking?

My biggest problem is getting mine to move and the boys can be pains for hoof trimming. Yours has a bit more pizzazz than mine, the kicking I might start with a sharp no and either a slap near the withers, of a tug on the rope and see how she reacts, each donkey is different so finding what works for yours is your challenge, mine would be quite offended by the slap, so the no usually works for mine. I do know there's a series on the RFDTV if you get that channel that called training donkeys and mules, otherwise a good book would be helpful.

I should say something about donkeys and dogs, a donkey will stomp dogs so hopefully you are aware of that if you have dogs.

I think I remember the best saddle was a Calvary saddle, but any that fits will work. You are making an old lady remember things that I once knew well. That's going to be a big donkey.

My Jenny was a adopt a burro girl, that I got 27 years ago. It was so easy to tame her and the Jack that I had gotten. I unfortunately had to sell them a bit back, but was able to buy her back with one kid and another in her belly. I also had an old miniature that passed about ten years ago, he was 35.

The best way to train a donkey is to make them think they were going to do something anyways. Have fun, she will teach you a lot of patience.

Last edited:
My biggest problem is getting mine to move and the boys can be pains for hoof trimming. Yours has a bit more pizzazz than mine, the kicking I might start with a sharp no and either a slap near the withers, of a tug on the rope and see how she reacts, each donkey is different so finding what works for yours is your challenge, mine would be quite offended by the slap, so the no usually works for mine. I do know there's a series on the RFDTV if you get that channel that called training donkeys and mules, otherwise a good book would be helpful.

I should say something about donkeys and dogs, a donkey will stomp dogs so hopefully you are aware of that if you have dogs.

I think I remember the best saddle was a Calvary saddle, but any that fits will work. You are making an old lady remember things that I once knew well. That's going to be a big donkey.

My Jenny was a adopt a burro girl, that I got 27 years ago. It was so easy to tame her and the Jack that I had gotten. I unfortunately had to sell them a bit back, but was able to buy her back with one kid and another in her belly. I also had an old miniature that passed about ten years ago, he was 35.

The best way to train a donkey is to make them think they were going to do something anyways. Have fun, she will teach you a lot of patience.
Oh yes I know about the dog problem. That's one of the reasons we bought her young is so that she could grow up with out dogs and know they aren't dangerous. We are taking care of a St. Bernard right now and sheena isn't a fan of her. I'll have to look for those things, my grandma is too old to be breaking a baby, and my friend who's gonna help me has only ever broke horses too. So it'll be pretty much just me working with her. It was a pain to halter break her, can't wait for saddles and bits.
1f610.png
hers sheena chasing the St. Bernard. They're learning to get along, she's just plays too rough sometimes. Haha.

Just be aware, that's why they use donkeys for predator protection in flocks of sheep, I'm not sure if that's something that can be trained out, mine will still try to stomp on my dogs if they get a chance, they stomped a hound dog, thought they broke his back, they stomped a goat that got out of his fencing, he's half paralyzed, and they stomped a muscovy duck and killed it, it's random, but they are good for coyote protection sometimes. Donkeys can be a bit inconsistent. I'll take the st. Bernard off your hands. Nice talking to you, I'm off to bed.

Back
Top Bottom