The Dorking Breeders thread

I do use the state lab to identify any health issues going on in my flock and with my livestock. This helps to know exactly what the problems are and also, what diseases aren't present in my flock. Otherwise, you are simply guessing. This goes hand in hand with the culling for symptoms, not as an alternative.
At least here in CA, they won't quarantine your entire flock unless it's something very serious ie Newcastle. In that case, depopulation would be warranted.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am not looking to medicate & "contain" the disease if there is one present (bc you can't really "contain" something like that 100%- even with a closed flock, the birds still pose a threat), I just want to be sure that there is one before I begin culling. I have medicine, but once I realized it doesn't really cure anything permanently, I decided not to use it.
I can definitely make the appropriate decision to depopulate, should anything show up. I'm not that misguided.
As far as a necropsy goes, I planned on doing that, but after doing some thinking, I made a call & left a message for the NPIP certification tester for my state. From what I have read, they'll come test every bird. I'll pay any additional fees to test for the MG strains.
If I had stopped the spread in time, I don't want to cull everyone. If I did not...well...bye-bye birdies.
I just got off the phone w/ the NPIP people, & they won't even come out since I know I may have a sickness going on. And she also said they don't test for MG or MS normally, but I could request it through a vet later on.
So pretty much hit a wall here. Looks like the only choice is to send that rooster off for necropsy, just to get some answers.
Wish I had an avian vet around here.
Has anyone ever ordered a ELISA flock testing kit before? I have found it, but not a price :(

If MG/MS is present, I don't care if they come cull them bc its the right thing to do....that what you mean YHF?
Regardless, they won't even come test, so doesn't matter really. Looks like the thing to do is send off the cockerel with symptoms, see what I am dealing with, and cull if need be if others begin showing symptoms, or watch and wait, and still cull if symptoms appear. Have you ever heard of a chicken (not born with the disease) contracting a resp. disease without showing symptoms first? That is what worries me, is that I'll miss something & not cull when I need to. Even though I spend a great deal of time daily watching them.
Do you think if the cock comes back positive, I should just go ahead & cull everything (regardless of whether it's acting funky or not), or should I wait for symptoms to appear, cull accordingly if they do, and not bring in anymore birds until I am sure things are healthy/after depopulation?
You have a lot more experience in the chicken dept than I do, and I value your opinions. Thank you. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit over this. Seems like reputable, experienced breeders on here, like yourself, know way more than any local vets or chicken keepers do around here where I live.
This is the problem. Backyard chicken keepers prolong these types of issues rather than doing the right thing bc they don't know any better. There is no one knowledgeable for them to go to with their questions/concerns.
The lady I got one of the sources from is still selling chickens, even though I contacted her about the hen she sold me with a nasty nose.....just blows my mind she'd continue to sell birds from the same flock, knowing that they could have possibly been exposed.

I have come to the conclusion that culling a symptomatic bird is as much about selecting for vigor as it is resistance. It is my opinion that it would take a massive effort, a lot of test mating, and intentional exposure to make any real progress anytime soon. Generationally from breeder to breeder resistant (or tolerant) fowl are bred as a result.

Selection for health and vigor is the number one priority. In other words, I do not want the cock bird that is hunched up in the corner when it is cold. I want the cock bird that is out in the elements singing to the world. I do not need the State or want the State to help me make those decisions.

New to Dorkings but have 25 Silver Dorkings that I got this spring. I plan on processing most but want to keep a few hens and a roo. Not sure how to cull the group. Select for size, vigor and disposition? The hens all look alike but the roos seem to vary the most.

New to Dorkings but have 25 Silver Dorkings that I got this spring. I plan on processing most but want to keep a few hens and a roo. Not sure how to cull the group. Select for size, vigor and disposition? The hens all look alike but the roos seem to vary the most.

If you go to the American Poultry Association website, you can purchase the Standard of Perfection. That's where all proper selection begins.

Back
Top Bottom