The Dorking Breeders thread

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. He's very similar to my stock including the longer legs while young that "settle in" with a little age and become gorgeous typey Dorkings as 2 yr. olds. The one major difference is you seem to have a much nicer comb there than my own which fly off the back of the head. Was this a point you selected for?

That's what I was thinking. He's very similar to my stock including the longer legs while young that "settle in" with a little age and become gorgeous typey Dorkings as 2 yr. olds. The one major difference is you seem to have a much nicer comb there than my own which fly off the back of the head. Was this a point you selected for?
Yes, combs have been a point in my selection. However, this has occurred more for the sake of practicality, then attempting to create a "nice/perfect" comb. Winters in PA are very difficult on my poor dorking roosters, so I try to select roosters with smaller combs.

That makes sense. I'd like to see the APA consider adding a rose comb red, but that will be a long road.

Does it actually not consider them? My APA book (2010 version) describes single combs for Colored, Silver Gray, and Cuckoo. For Rosecomb it says Cuckoo and White. For Red it's only discription is bright red? It doesn't say a thing about the Red's type of comb... But, the photo does show a single comb.

Quote:
Oh my, looks like it's time for me to get a new SOP. My 1998 version doesn't even list the Cuckoo. I just went to the Dorking Breeder's club website (recently overhauled and beautiful -- good job to whoever did that) which says both the RC and SC Cuckoo were admitted to the SOP in 1998 (apparently after that year's SOP was published). All this time I've spent on multiple BYC Dorking threads for over two years and everyone has always stated that the Colored, White, SG and Red were the only SOP-approved colors. I remember someone bringing up Cuckoo a few times and they were always told it wasn't as "valid" as the other colors. Sorry to whoever I may have offended or discouraged for any part I played in this. I honestly didn't know.

RhodeRunner, you're absolutely right -- both my 1998 SOP and the Dorking Breeder's Club version of the SOP (which I assume is current since the website was just revamped) makes no mention that I can find of the proper comb type for the Reds, other than in the picture. In the 1998 version under "Dorkings, Shape -- Male" there are two listings for Comb, which are categorized by color as follows:

COMB: Silver-Gray and Colored Dorkings -- Single; (then the description of a single comb)
COMB: White Dorkings -- Rose; (then the description of a rose comb).

The description under "Dorkings, Shape -- Female" is exactly the same, stating in both comb types that it is similar to the male but much smaller, and in the SC falling over to one side.

Since there are not pictures of every color or variation of every breed described in the SOP, it cannot be assumed that the RC Red is not accepted just because there is no picture of one. I would assume that the picture of the SC Red does mean that the SC Red is accepted.

On the Dorking Breeders Club website, their description of the body shape simply says "single or rose comb" without specifying which comb variety goes with which color, almost implying that all colors could have either comb type.

According to the Dorking Breeder's Club website, the Colored, SG, and White Dorkings were admitted in 1874, and the Red was not admitted until 1995. I suspect that when the description for the Red was written the plan was to keep the "Shape" the same for all Dorking varieties, and to just add the written description for the new color. Someone forgot that the "Shape" writeup (which is where the comb type is listed, not in the "Color" writeup) had two different comb descriptions which were mutually exclusive and based on color (at least at the time, as the Cuckoo is the only color that specifies that it allows either a SC or a RC, and it was admitted to the SOP three years later).

Sooooooo, does anyone know for sure, or have we all just been assuming that the RC Red wasn't admitted based on repeated information that may or may not be right (like with all the misinformation about the Cuckoo)?????

Back
Top Bottom