The Dorking Breeders thread

Yellow House Farm certainly has an extensive web presence and some extremely impressive birds. I'd love to help maintain that line of Dorkings, but I've not had any luck contacting them. Guess I should just pick up the phone. I just hate to bother people that way.

I'd also like to know more about your Reds. I know how limited the gene pool is for Dorkings in general and Whites in particular, but I've got the idea that I could create additional families of them by outcrossing to Reds (or other colors) and then selecting for White over the next few generations. I imagine a terminal cross between the newly diversified line and an established line would give better hatch-ability and survival rates than existing lines as well as slightly better growth rates. If I can make this project happen I'll be in it for the long haul.

I'd actually count on a slow growth rate. I raise my pigs slowly to give my pork a very distinctive flavor. That appeals to my customers and allows me to get a premium price. Combine that with my extremely low feed costs, and I think I can make it happen. It's been at least 25 years since I've eaten capon, but I remember the flavor and texture was amazing. I've also been watching the retail prices for capons which run about $70 per bird. Of course this is all theoretical until I can find the birds for the program. That's why I've joined this group.

I'll be happy to share the data I collect on weights. I've been a specialty farmer since 1995 and have learned that it takes quite a few people creating a buzz around a product to make it successful. In 1995 I was the first person in the Atlanta area to raise Tokyo/Hakurei turnips and got $6 to $8/lb for them from the city's top restaurants. Today that's a staple crop for many local organic farmers and all the restaurants have them on their menus in season. (Of course the prices have dropped since then and no one remembers I started the movement but what can you do?) I'd like to see Dorkings become a marketable product like that, so that they're still around in another couple of thousand years.

If you've got the right connections to the restaurant and specialty markets, you might be the right person to make it work. It would be wonderful to see Dorkings be a commercially viable breed to those who appreciate their unique qualities.

I'd also like to know more about your Reds.  I know how limited the gene pool is for Dorkings in general and Whites in particular, but I've got the idea that I could create additional families of them by outcrossing to Reds (or other colors) and then selecting for White over the next few generations.  I imagine a terminal cross between the newly diversified line and an established line would give better hatch-ability and survival rates than existing lines as well as slightly better growth rates.  If I can make this project happen I'll be in it for the long haul.  

They'd be your birds, and absolutely none of my business, but I am reasonably certain that if you got white Dorkings from Jeremy or Joseph, you would be ready to line breed. If you get whites from just about any other source, you would need to spend a lot of time outcrossing, hatching and culling heavily. We are discussing this very thing currently on the "Breeding for Production" thread and you are all welcome to join in.
Best wishes,
Angela

Thanks for the the tip on the Breeding for Production thread, Angela. I skimmed a few recent posting which were very informative and fascinating. There are over 6000 posts, so it may take me a while to get up to speed, but I'll definitely be lurking on that thread for a while.

Anthony

They'd be your birds, and absolutely none of my business, but I am reasonably certain that if you got white Dorkings from Jeremy or Joseph, you would be ready to line breed. If you get whites from just about any other source, you would need to spend a lot of time outcrossing, hatching and culling heavily. We are discussing this very thing currently on the "Breeding for Production" thread and you are all welcome to join in.
Best wishes,
Angela
So Angela, how go your Red Dorkings? Do you have many?

Back
Top Bottom