The Dorking Breeders thread

GM all:

I too am looking for Dorkings....I have two red girls, lost two to a fox,  and one viable egg in the incubator (power outage) from a backyard breeder in upstate NY.
I can attest that D. Horstman is sold out and Sandhill too...Does anyone know who has some Red's???

TIA!

Just got an email back from Hortsman Poultry this morning regarding reds. If you are added to their wait list, it's going to be July 2017 if there are any to be had at all. Again, that's per email communication with them this morning.

I just began collecting data for the first time yesterday on my Silver Gray Dorkings from the P. Allen Smith line. I was amazed at the differences once you actually start measuring chicks. My first group was only 5 chicks but at 4 weeks they ranged from 9 ounces to 12 ounces. I checked all the markers suggested by the Livestock conservancy, head width, heart girth, back length, etc. The largest chick was consistently tops on every marker with the poorest chick also being the smallest. I'll continue to assess them every 4 weeks as they grow.

The next group I'll be measuring is a group of 10 White Dorkings followed by another group of 15 more Silver Gray Dorkings.

Question: I've read in several sources that Dorkings tend toward broodiness- sometimes to the point of significantly lower egg production. In another thread, I believe YHF mentioned his strain of whites were broody but not unmanageably so.

How strong is this trait in other lines? I'm interested in Dorkings as an all-around farm bird (while breeding to the standard and showing occasionally to be sure I'm selecting and culling properly) and wonder whether this would be a help or hinderence for my purposes.

I like working with broodies, especially if they are amenable to fostering incubated chicks also. I've used hatchery bred Silkies, BOs, and of Cochins in the past with mixed results (most likely because of the variability of hatchery birds, I'm sure).

Any info from those more experienced would be appreciated.

Now... Back to lurking.

For each line of Dorkings on this continent, I suspect the owners would answer differently in regards to broodiness. In my experience, the Urch line of Silver Gray Dorkings is reliably broody in the spring, if eggs are allowed to collect in the nest, no broodiness if eggs are regularly collected. Also accepted incubated chicks lovingly once broody, was much better at raising chicks of borderline vigor than I.
Angela

Question: I've read in several sources that Dorkings tend toward broodiness- sometimes to the point of significantly lower egg production. In another thread, I believe YHF mentioned his strain of whites were broody but not unmanageably so.

How strong is this trait in other lines? I'm interested in Dorkings as an all-around farm bird (while breeding to the standard and showing occasionally to be sure I'm selecting and culling properly) and wonder whether this would be a help or hinderence for my purposes.

I like working with broodies, especially if they are amenable to fostering incubated chicks also. I've used hatchery bred Silkies, BOs, and of Cochins in the past with mixed results (most likely because of the variability of hatchery birds, I'm sure).

Any info from those more experienced would be appreciated.

Now... Back to lurking.
My colored dorking from Sand Hill are not exceptionally broody. Some have gone broody once or twice a season, others never.

I just acquired a stock of Meyer Hatchery silver grey dorkings. I was able to get 8 hens and 2 cockerels. They are on a 30 day quarantine and hoping to get them looking less rough in that amount of time. I hopefully posting pics of all of them with weights as soon as I get them home. My questions are: 1. Should I hatch out whatever they lay over the next two weeks and if I do, do I consider them full blooded or mixes? Is there any way to auto sex the chicks I know I have seen something about it before but not sure if it was for the Silver grey or one of the other colors. Thanks for any and all input.

I just acquired a stock of Meyer Hatchery silver grey dorkings. I was able to get 8 hens and 2 cockerels. They are on a 30 day quarantine and hoping to get them looking less rough in that amount of time. I hopefully posting pics of all of them with weights as soon as I get them home. My questions are: 1. Should I hatch out whatever they lay over the next two weeks and if I do, do I consider them full blooded or mixes? Is there any way to auto sex the chicks I know I have seen something about it before but not sure if it was for the Silver grey or one of the other colors. Thanks for any and all input.

If they are true silver grey Dorkings, they can be autosexed easily. Were they breeding birds? Is that why they look rough? I'd consider treating for coccidiosis preventatively since they came from a hatchery, and be sure to be careful in your quarantine procedures. A friend bought some from them and her chicks look full-blooded. Do they all have five toes? I've seen ads wherein the "breeder" says not all will have 5 toes. Dead giveaway that they were crossed with something else. Mine are from Sand Hill (just 3), but I purchased hatching eggs from OK and home they aren't Sand Hill (seller never would say, even though I asked). Stunningly, the majority are both fertile and doing well. 2-3 had detached air cells that did not reattach during the 24 hour waiting period, but the rest look good. Hoping for 3-4 pullets out of 8-9 properly developing eggs.

These are certainly different than my other birds, mostly Orpingtons. First, they are excellent flyers! I hope my fencing and netting will keep them in.

I am looking to sell part of my Bielefelder flock to make room for the Dorkings. If anyone knows someone who wants a trio(1 year old roo plus two 1 year old hens), I am NPIP certified and could ship. They are autosexing, too. I just like the Dorkings better. The Bieles are fine, nothing wrong with them, but I'm more intrigued by an ancient breed that needs conserving than a new man-made breed.

Broodiness is not so much a breed trait but a strain trait. Even in the SOP, where it is mentioned, it is only reflecting the values of the day and not the current concern. At the moment, there's not a judge in America that cares whether a breed goes broody or not--and neither should there be, because it is of no importance to the needs and concerns of current breeders.

The shape of bird establishes its breed; the color or, sometimes, comb type establishes its variety. Thant is all. The other traits are reflective of the breeders selection (or lack there of). For exmple, up until this point, I tend to be rather artificial incubation-based; natural incubation is of little rt importance for my current operation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom