The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

I had so much trouble having the first one. The doctor reassured me I would not be able to have anymore. Surprise! After the second one, they tied my tubes. We adopted the third one. At a certain point in each of their lives, they all broke my heart. To some degree, I think that's normal. Fences were mended, and things have been fine with my first 2, but I don't ever want to see my 3rd. child again in my lifetime. Today, I have an excellent relationship with my oldest daughter. I have a very good relationship with my middle daughter. Was it all worth it? To me, it was.

I always wanted kids, but I didn't want a husband. I said the same thing about husbands as speckledhen said about kids. My mother had a conniption fit. Years later, after going through an extremely rough divorce, twice to the same man, since they rescinded the first divorce, and I suddenly found myself married again, I reminded her that I had never wanted a husband to begin with. She agreed that all our lives would have been better had I not married him, and just had the kids.

your chickens photos were to good specially the cockereal

Thanks! Welcome to the Atlas thread!

I had so much trouble having the first one. The doctor reassured me I would not be able to have anymore. Surprise! After the second one, they tied my tubes. We adopted the third one. At a certain point in each of their lives, they all broke my heart. To some degree, I think that's normal. Fences were mended, and things have been fine with my first 2, but I don't ever want to see my 3rd. child again in my lifetime. Today, I have an excellent relationship with my oldest daughter. I have a very good relationship with my middle daughter. Was it all worth it? To me, it was.

I always wanted kids, but I didn't want a husband. I said the same thing about husbands as speckledhen said about kids. My mother had a conniption fit. Years later, after going through an extremely rough divorce, twice to the same man, since they rescinded the first divorce, and I suddenly found myself married again, I reminded her that I had never wanted a husband to begin with. She agreed that all our lives would have been better had I not married him, and just had the kids.

Well, we all have our issues with our kids (and men) that's for sure! I'm very blessed to have chosen a wonderful man to spend my life with, could have ended up a disaster. But, he was very mature, having almost raised his younger siblings and been expected to take care of his perpetually ill, and somewhat hypochondriac mother. But, he's a man so we have that issue, LOL.

Kitkat, so sorry about your chicks, too bad the kids had to find them. I have my mom's dog here, and he is a deadly killer, if he gets ahold of any small live animal it is a goner.

I never had kids, as I would not do it unless I had a husband, and I still haven't found one of those yet. I don't know how the girls that work for me do it, they all have full-time jobs, small children, and homes to take care of.

We got some pheasant chicks over the weekend. I'm starting to think it was a big mistake. We lost 2 already, and I just don't know what to do with them. They are skiddish, as they should be, but aren't eating as much as the day before. We are going to release them eventually if they make it. It's not as exciting as I thought it would be. :confused:

We got some pheasant chicks over the weekend. I'm starting to think it was a big mistake. We lost 2 already, and I just don't know what to do with them. They are skiddish, as they should be, but aren't eating as much as the day before. We are going to release them eventually if they make it. It's not as exciting as I thought it would be. :confused:
Around here there are several gun clubs and hunting preserves. Their M.O. is to raise lots of pheasants, quail, ducks, etc. and when they have a shooting party, they throw a bunch of them off a tower for the the "hunters" to shoot at. Real sportsmen. And after the massacre is all over, the petrified survivors run helplessly through the woods, totally unprepared to take care of themselves. On one of the farms where I've worked, there is a sizable stream running through the property and it's overpopulated with survivor ducks, mostly male because they are more colorful and must be easier/more fun to shoot, I guess. The poor pheasants and quail get eaten by foxes and coyotes because they don't know how to protect themselves. One of my chicken keeping friends had a little resourceful quail crawl under the fence into her chicken yard to save himself. He lived happily with her chickens for quite awhile.

Around here there are several gun clubs and hunting preserves. Their M.O. is to raise lots of pheasants, quail, ducks, etc. and when they have a shooting party, they throw a bunch of them off a tower for the the "hunters" to shoot at. Real sportsmen. And after the massacre is all over, the petrified survivors run helplessly through the woods, totally unprepared to take care of themselves. On one of the farms where I've worked, there is a sizable stream running through the property and it's overpopulated with survivor ducks, mostly male because they are more colorful and must be easier/more fun to shoot, I guess. The poor pheasants and quail get eaten by foxes and coyotes because they don't know how to protect themselves. One of my chicken keeping friends had a little resourceful quail crawl under the fence into her chicken yard to save himself. He lived happily with her chickens for quite awhile.
Some were recently released here by a local club too, but they didn't shoot at them. One chuckar quail showed up here last week and has been hanging around eating scratch and chicken feed. We have him Chuckie. It inspired us to try pheasants, but I hadn't realized how difficult this is going to be. We had planned to provide feed for as long as they wanted, but I'm not sure if the pheasants will be up for the program.

There is a pheasant breeder nearby that I drive by occasionally and can see some of their birds outside. They are all raised on wire up off the ground, in totally enclosed runs. I don't know if that is for health or safety reasons. I've never been in there to visit.
My husband knows a local guy that raises them. I think after this I will leave that up to him.

Back
Top Bottom