The Front Porch Swing

So I have this friend that I gave 14 chickens to right before I found out about the MG thing. She was just starting out with chickens and very enthusiastic. I told her immediately, of course. And she was really nice about it. But she is now talking about getting a couple of turkey poults and I am so nervous. She really likes turkeys and really wants them but I know that turkeys get affected by MG worse than chickens. I hope it goes well for her, but I am scared. Would pre-dosing the poults with denagard be a good idea?

Having turkeys around is good for natural resistance against Mareks (because the kind of Mareks that turkeys get isn’t as serious to them as it is to chickens and the turkey version of Mareks is actually what they use to inoculate chickens against it so it is like they are getting a constant dosing of the inoculation.) So they would be useful to have around. I just hope it works out well for her. I am going to feel really badly if it doesn’t.

So I have this friend that I gave 14 chickens to right before I found out about the MG thing.  She was just starting out with chickens and very enthusiastic.  I told her immediately, of course.  And she was really nice about it.  But she is now talking about getting a couple of turkey poults and I am so nervous.  She really likes turkeys and really wants them but I know that turkeys get affected by MG worse than chickens.  I hope it goes well for her, but I am scared.  Would pre-dosing the poults with denagard be a good idea?

Having turkeys around is good for natural resistance against Mareks (because the kind of Mareks that turkeys get isn’t as serious to them as it is to chickens and the turkey version of Mareks is actually what they use to inoculate chickens against it so it is like they are getting a constant dosing of the inoculation.) So they would be useful to have around.  I just hope it works out well for her.  I am going to feel really badly if it doesn’t.
When I had MG last fall, the turkeys did not get it; only the chickens. We had to destroy the chicken flock, but the turkeys tested clean and were passed by the state. They were surprised, to say the least. So it can happen. But I wouldn't bet on it. On the other hand, your strain of MG is far milder than the killer strain we had, so maybe the odds are better? Or maybe they're worse. I have no idea! I'm speculating and guessing, and it could all go either way! Don't listen to me. I wasn't talking. I didn't say anything.......

Psy I hope it works out for her. I'd worry too. Turkey babies seem fragile to me so I'm protective of them.

You know more about mg then anyone else so I don't think I can add anything. Are her chickens positive? Or are we just assuming its all in your area?

We are assuming. Being that it has no symptoms for my birds, (except the two that came down with it in my quarantine pen and were culled) It is hard to tell whether she really has it or not. Ut is just safer to assume that she does. (and we cant get anyone out to test...so frustrating!)

I guess this might be one way to find out!

Hollow...you are a wonderful resource for me. I am glad to have you around. but sorry you had to do what you had to do.

We are assuming.  Being that it has no symptoms for my birds, (except the two that came down with it in my quarantine pen and were culled) It is hard to tell whether she really has it or not.  Ut is just safer to assume that she does.  (and we cant get anyone out to test...so frustrating!)

Hollow...you are a wonderful resource for me.  I am glad to have you around.  but sorry you had to do what you had to do.
that is annoying.
Also on dh.. Do you have a very active cl community? I know out here they do organised tabletop gaming on cl. Or is he a fps guy?

We are assuming. Being that it has no symptoms for my birds, (except the two that came down with it in my quarantine pen and were culled) It is hard to tell whether she really has it or not. Ut is just safer to assume that she does. (and we cant get anyone out to test...so frustrating!)

Hollow...you are a wonderful resource for me. I am glad to have you around. but sorry you had to do what you had to do.

I hope that it all turns out well for you! I know this may seem cruel, but is there a way to send in a couple of birds that you have dispatched to find out if they're infected? I know some labs can even check the eggs to see if they are infected since MG is spread through eggs as well.

My little white showgirl hatched her first clutch today! She is tiney tiny so she only had 3 eggs. She had 2 chicks and abandoned the last pipped egg so I pot it in the bator. It was yowling up a storm should be fine if its not shrink wrapped later.

that is annoying.
Also on dh.. Do you have a very active cl community? I know out here they do organised tabletop gaming on cl. Or is he a fps guy?
He is a tabletop gamer. I will tell him to check Craigslist. that's a good idea. I think he is just bummed because a buddy of his just found out that his girlfriend is pregnant and I know it is selfish, but once someone starts a family, we have noticed that they disappear. it is very understandable...suddenly you get no sleep and your priorities HAVE to change. but he is sad.

He also lost his best friend a few years ago to a virus that attacked his heart (he was only 35!!!!) and another friend moved away. so he is lonely.

I hope that it all turns out well for you! I know this may seem cruel, but is there a way to send in a couple of birds that you have dispatched to find out if they're infected? I know some labs can even check the eggs to see if they are infected since MG is spread through eggs as well.
I am thinking about doing that with a couple of the boys I don't need.

I would LOVE to find a place to send eggs to!!!! if anyone knows one, let me know!!!

Wow! That hen is an interesting color! What is she?

I don't know what "Mrs. Butterworth" is.... We hatched her out of some mixed breed eggs, we bought an auction.
She lays a dark tan colored egg.
I love her color.... she is so funny to watch because she has a diva attitude..

What does she look like to you?
(I'd guess golden-laced something X Black Orpington ?)

Daisy - last summer...

Back
Top Bottom