The Front Porch Swing

Yes Beth, it is a Sebbie.
Brandi-from what I have seen, the girls are always dark grey and yellow, but turn white when their adult feathers come in. I don't know what the colored Sebbies look like at hatch, though-never had any experience with colors.

The beak is mostly dark so it won't be solid white. I'll post some pics as it grows!

I am thinking about doing that with a couple of the boys I don't need.

I would LOVE to find a place to send eggs to!!!!  if anyone knows one, let me know!!!

Have you called your state poultry laboratory? The one in Louisiana will accept eggs that are overnighted for testing for most diseases that are passed through the egg.

The egg testing option wasn't listed on the website. I actually had to email to request it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote: Good to know! I'd love to see pics as it grows!

I am so discouraged and about ready to give up with chickens.
hit.gif
Two weeks ago, my oldest Legbar rooster died-my MFL roo flew over the 8-foot wall separating them and killed him. I had a younger roo growing out, and one of the girls found him yesterday-dead.
Now today my Black Bresse roo was dead in his pen. He is only about a year old, and I've only had him for 3 1/2 weeks (in quarantine), but he seemed perfectly fine last night, and today he is dead. His hen looks good. I have not been losing anything else, but my roosters keep dying. What good is one Black Bresse hen without a roo? Or 5 Legbar hens without a roo?
I have several younger Bresse growing, but they are only about 2 months old. I have really been hard on culling for what I am keeping, too, so this makes it even harder. I decided I wanted the Legbars for layers and their friendliness, the Bresse for meat and eggs, and my Silkies just for fun. I still have my MFL, simply because they decided to start laying again, but when they stop laying next they are leaving-anyone want to make me a deal on them? I have 4 hens and a roo-2 hens and the roo are a year old, from Cheryl Cohen, the other two pullets are 5-6 months old from Papabrooder. Three of them are laying for sure, maybe all 4. They are gorgeous birds, but too flighty for me. Make me an offer if you are interested. I paid over $250 in January for the trio from Cheryl, so I would love to be able to make at least some of it back.
hide.gif
I may just list them on RBA.

I am so discouraged and about ready to give up with chickens.
hit.gif
Two weeks ago, my oldest Legbar rooster died-my MFL roo flew over the 8-foot wall separating them and killed him. I had a younger roo growing out, and one of the girls found him yesterday-dead.
Now today my Black Bresse roo was dead in his pen. He is only about a year old, and I've only had him for 3 1/2 weeks (in quarantine), but he seemed perfectly fine last night, and today he is dead. His hen looks good. I have not been losing anything else, but my roosters keep dying. What good is one Black Bresse hen without a roo? Or 5 Legbar hens without a roo?
I have several younger Bresse growing, but they are only about 2 months old. I have really been hard on culling for what I am keeping, too, so this makes it even harder. I decided I wanted the Legbars for layers and their friendliness, the Bresse for meat and eggs, and my Silkies just for fun. I still have my MFL, simply because they decided to start laying again, but when they stop laying next they are leaving-anyone want to make me a deal on them? I have 4 hens and a roo-2 hens and the roo are a year old, from Cheryl Cohen, the other two pullets are 5-6 months old from Papabrooder. Three of them are laying for sure, maybe all 4. They are gorgeous birds, but too flighty for me. Make me an offer if you are interested. I paid over $250 in January for the trio from Cheryl, so I would love to be able to make at least some of it back.
hide.gif
I may just list them on RBA.
So sorry you are having such trouble with your roos, Heather.
hugs.gif
I have lots of extra roos I would be willing to give you, just none of those breeds.
hmm.png

Heather, Sorry to hear about your roosters. Are you feeding a "Layer" product? Sometimes the extra calcium in the layer rations can cause organ failure in roosters.

I'm sorry , Heather! I wish I had those breeds too - I would love to help. I always have a Basque boy or 2 growing out. I have Bresse, but they are white and I haven't started growing any out yet. I'll keep an eye out though.

Back
Top Bottom