The Front Porch Swing

My son is horrible too about getting all beat up.

He came running two days ago. I tell them not to run in the house, it's small.. slick wood floors throughout.. a floor grate in the hallway where the furnace is under the floor. It's just trouble waiting to happen. He's tripped over the grate several times before.

Well, dummy comes running through the hallway, bumps into the door frame, trips over a shoe and faceplants on his nose and lip HARD. Bleeding like a pig. *sigh* He's got a big fat lip now, but he's ok. He got a popsicle to keep the swelling down. :rolleyes:

Both boys are always covered in bruises. They're boys. Sadly, step-son's mom tried to claim abuse before. She didn't get anywhere with it, but it's annoying none the less. Boys run into things, fall off of things, fall onto things and half the time they don't even notice it happens. You ask them "where'd you get this bruise?" and they have no idea.

Dog in the saucer = hilariously cute!

Oh, Deb, you mean frenulum I think. I wish doctor's in the US weren't so out of touch with home remedies. It's SO easy to stop kids from bleeding and it calms the parent down and that way they can see what the damage is. Some wounds bleed way worse than you think they would.

Cornstarch or flour helps stop the bleeding from cuts (also helps if you cut a nail on an animal too short) and you can buy styptic pencil.. handy for hubbies too who cut themselves shaving (or ladies that cut their legs).

Thomas faceplanted on the edge of the coffee table once. God, I thought he had lost his eye, the way it was bleeding. It was one tiny cut right next to his eye. They couldn't glue it because it was so close to his eye. He's got a manly little scar now :lol: But yeah, I was on the phone with hubby and the pediatrician before the bleeding stopped. I needed moral support :p

That's so frustrating about the abuse claim, glad she didn't get anywhere with it! My 2 1/2 year old girl is just as bruised as her brother! But she also tries to keep up with her brother too!!

I was the boy of the family the, I was always covered in bruises and scratches.  Falling out of trees was my specialty. 

I think my DD will be right there too! She's much more fearless than her brother.

I know the frenulum is the bit of connective tissue between the base of the tongue, and the "floor" of the mouth.  Very similar in form and function to the midline tissue at the junction between the upper lip and the gum, so they could both have the same name.  Medical trivia experts???? 

YES THEY ARE CALLED THE SAME AS WELL AS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE LOWER LIP AND GUM.

My son was incredible at getting into trouble.  If he wasn't getting rabies shots for getting bit by a stray dog, (he might as well have been wearing a sign on his butt that said "bite me!") he was otherwise getting bruises and contusions.  I once caught him diving head first off our front step onto the cement walkway, wearing a little plastic construction helmet.  His response when i intervened:  "But, I'm wearing a helmet.  I can't get hurt."  An other time, he climbed to the top of some A-frame staging.  He was about 3 years old, and was all the way to the top when I found him.  He had placed one leg between the hinges at the top, and the whole pile of A-frames started to fall down.  I caught the pile in time to keep it from falling, but was not strong enough to push it back, and his leg was stuck...  Then there was the time when he was 2 years old, and he ran into his room and slammed the door so hard that it completely passed by the molding on the side, so it couldn't be opened back up.  I had to have my brother come down and climb into the second story window to get him out.  Thank God the window wasn't locked.  Then there was the time he ran down the hall with a broom, handle sticking straight out in front of him.  He, of course ran all the faster when I told him to stop, and he dived on his bed, and put the broom handle straight through the window glass.  An other time, i caught him and a buddy playing in a bucket of very ripe manure tea.  They were covered in the stuff, and I walked out just in time to stop him from tipping the bucket up to take a drink out of it.  In spite of all this, I'll tell anyone who asks, that boys are easier to raise!  My troublesome boy grew up to be a full time Youth Pastor!  So he's well versed in knowing just how much trouble kids can get into!  He has a very active little girl, who is just a bit like him!!!

Lol I've had rabies shots too, but it was a requirement for college :)

Sorry about the bold don't know how to do colored text from my phone.

I know the frenulum is the bit of connective tissue between the base of the tongue, and the "floor" of the mouth.  Very similar in form and function to the midline tissue at the junction between the upper lip and the gum, so they could both have the same name.  Medical trivia experts???? 

My son was incredible at getting into trouble.  If he wasn't getting rabies shots for getting bit by a stray dog, (he might as well have been wearing a sign on his butt that said "bite me!") he was otherwise getting bruises and contusions.  I once caught him diving head first off our front step onto the cement walkway, wearing a little plastic construction helmet.  His response when i intervened:  "But, I'm wearing a helmet.  I can't get hurt."  An other time, he climbed to the top of some A-frame staging.  He was about 3 years old, and was all the way to the top when I found him.  He had placed one leg between the hinges at the top, and the whole pile of A-frames started to fall down.  I caught the pile in time to keep it from falling, but was not strong enough to push it back, and his leg was stuck...  Then there was the time when he was 2 years old, and he ran into his room and slammed the door so hard that it completely passed by the molding on the side, so it couldn't be opened back up.  I had to have my brother come down and climb into the second story window to get him out.  Thank God the window wasn't locked.  Then there was the time he ran down the hall with a broom, handle sticking straight out in front of him.  He, of course ran all the faster when I told him to stop, and he dived on his bed, and put the broom handle straight through the window glass.  An other time, i caught him and a buddy playing in a bucket of very ripe manure tea.  They were covered in the stuff, and I walked out just in time to stop him from tipping the bucket up to take a drink out of it.  In spite of all this, I'll tell anyone who asks, that boys are easier to raise!  My troublesome boy grew up to be a full time Youth Pastor!  So he's well versed in knowing just how much trouble kids can get into!  He has a very active little girl, who is just a bit like him!!!

Oh man would are sons have had fun together! I agree with you with the girl thing. The thought of 12 year old girl terrifies me! We didn't find out if we were having a boy or girl and I was pretty worried. I mean a healthy baby was all I wanted, but I just feel I am better suited for boys. I was exactly the same as my son and I'm very much a tom boy. I don't do well with how sensitive little girls can be because I was never like that and forget the makeup thing! Thy would be out of luck if thy wanted me to teach them any if that stuff. These days I just worry about someone (probably a parent with all calm mellow girly girls) calling cps on me with all his bruises. But he never cries long and is on to hurt himself on the next thing a minute later ;) But he's very cute and a really good worker! He will spend hours working on the fence with my husband.

It was pretty hot and muggy in WI when I went to visit DH over the 4th. The dog looked so dang miserable so I went on a mission to find something for him to coolo ff in. He has a sheep tank here in Wyoming that he can splash around in. dH says "we bought a farm, there must be a container here for him".

All I could find was a saucer for a planter - figured he could at least soak his feet....

he figured that he needed a soak ...

He almost fit ...
I can't wait until Ken gets home from Bridger and I show him these pictures......he thinks the Good Lord could easily have stopped making dogs when He came up with English Setters!

I love our Pistol Pete, he is such a sweetheart. Kinda dumb though, he chases the shadow of the birds as they fly overhead!
We don't hunt him, he has no recall and the minute he gets out of the fence he is off at full speed in whatever direction his nose is pointing. Try to find a black and white dog in a snow storm ... But I have seen him point a robin as it walked across the yard - over 10 minutes of step, step, point! step step POINT! so he probably would have been a great hunter if he had been worked young enough - he was almost a year old when we got him.

We had an Irish Setter, when Pistol came to our house - I had told DH that I should get an English Setter so we could have a "Black and White and a Red all over" selection. He just rolled his eyes.

Our English Setter, Miss Molly. She knows she's not supposed to be on the furniture, so when Ken takes a nap in his recliner she naps with him - just like this. Yep, she's asleep and she'll stay that way until he wakes up. Love the crossed legs.

Kenny was our accident looking for place to happen. In San Diego we had several Navy clinics to use, so which one we used depended on the injury. Suspected broken bones or serious injuries were treated at Balboa because it had everything. Smaller things that had to be treated usually meant a trip to one of the smaller satellite clinics.

One day I was standing at the kitchen sink washing veggies when from behind me this little voice said, "Mommy, look." I turned around and he was standing with his head down and blood just pouring from it. I grabbed him and a kitchen towel, cleaned the area and saw a 3 inch gash which obviously needed stitches. He'd fallen off the neighbor kid's skateboard and hit the curb. I called my neighbor to come over and grab the girls and told her what happened. She brought over one of her baby's disposable diapers, which we slapped on Kenny's head to slow the bleeding (head wounds always bleed the most, I swear!) and then I took him to Coronado.

We're sitting in the waiting room and there's a young sailor sitting near us who obviously had broken his finger. He was waiting for a ride to Balboa. This is the conversation that took place.

"Mom, when I fell off the swing and broke my elbow, is this where we came?"
"No, Kenny, we went to Balboa for that."
"Oh. When I rolled off the hill and crashed into the rock is this where we came?
"No, we went to Balboa for that too."
"Oh. Is this where we came when I burned my hand on the torch?"
"Yep, this is where we came for that one."

Out walks a corpsman, who took the diaper off Kenny's head and asked him, "Well, young man, what did you do? Fall off your bike?"
The young wounded sailor looked up in surprise and said, "Good grief, lady, you didn't get that kid a bike did ya?"

LMAO!! Hard to argue with his logic. ;)

I love our Pistol Pete, he is such a sweetheart. Kinda dumb though, he chases the shadow of the birds as they fly overhead!
We don't hunt him, he has no recall and the minute he gets out of the fence he is off at full speed in whatever direction his nose is pointing. Try to find a black and white dog in a snow storm ... But I have seen him point a robin as it walked across the yard - over 10 minutes of step, step, point! step step POINT! so he probably would have been a great hunter if he had been worked young enough - he was almost a year old when we got him.

We had an Irish Setter, when Pistol came to our house - I had told DH that I should get an English Setter so we could have a "Black and White and a Red all over" selection. He just rolled his eyes.
Oh my word!! Pistol Pete is MOLLY....doesn't hunt, runs like the wind if the gate is open, and will stalk and point robins until she quivers! We got her on the 2nd of July when she was 8 weeks old. Do I need to tell you what her first exposure to "gunfire" was? Yep, Dave's fireworks across the street. That was the end of hunting with her, not that there'd ever been a beginning.

Our Irish setter had to smell the guns everytime we come back from hunting - deer and/or small game. I swear that dog got off on the smell of gun powder. He was a pretty good hunter.
Pistol on the other hand couldn't care less about guns, its all about the luvin'. He is a total snuggle bud.

Pistol was 11 months old when we got him in mid November. Poor guy was an indoor doggie and only had a thin coat when we brought him home and stuck him outside for 9 hours a day with the other two dogs we had. Before anyone calls the Humane Society on me - we have a huge, insulated, two-room dog house for three dogs and our lab was old and slept all day, so he always had a warm place to go and I always checked to make sure he wasn't having any problems with the cold. He went from a 1/4 acre lot in town to our 1 acre of fenced yard on a 10 acre lot, with a big brother to run with. He must of thought he went to heaven. The neighbors claimed to not mind the barking - a couple of them even mentioned that they would get worried if they didn't hear our dogs first thing in the morning, and most have dogs that bark anyway.

Hi all. Sorry for a quick post with nothing to do with anything here. I just need the opinion of the chicken savy as I am a chicken newbie!

What, in your opinion, is the quickest and most painless way to put a chick (1 day) out of it's misery? It can't seem to straighten it's neck to stand up properly.

Also, I noticed that one of our layer chicks (3 weeks) ha a crossed bill. It seems to be one of the biggest, and therefore growing well, so should I be concerned that this should be a problem later on? Or should I just make sure it's not in my breeding stock?

Thanks much!

Hi all. Sorry for a quick post with nothing to do with anything here. I just need the opinion of the chicken savy as I am a chicken newbie!

What, in your opinion, is the quickest and most painless way to put a chick (1 day) out of it's misery? It can't seem to straighten it's neck to stand up properly.

Also, I noticed that one of our layer chicks (3 weeks) ha a crossed bill. It seems to be one of the biggest, and therefore growing well, so should I be concerned that this should be a problem later on? Or should I just make sure it's not in my breeding stock?

Thanks much!

Bee said to gently twist his neck. Sorry honey.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom