The Guy Said it was a Blue Chicken

She has a lot of the characteristics but I'm thinking that she may look more like a Blue Orpington perhaps - at least the pictures that I have looked at.

Black sexlinks have single combs 99.9% of the time; where did you get black sexlinks with rose combs?

She is not a blue Orpington, not with that comb. They have single combs. Now, she could be an Orp/Wyandotte cross since rose comb is dominant in that mix.

Now you have to realize that I say these two are Black Sex links because that's what the man that sold them to me told me. I don't know if these pics will do them justice but ....This is Gertrude
62731_derricks_girl_004.jpg
and this is Hazel
62731_miscellaneous_chickens_028.jpg
When you say rose comb you do mean the colour, right?

Could it be an EE pullet? I have a young EE that is a slate grey-blue color, solid all over. She has the slate colored legs. I'm guessing she's going to look a lot like this when she grows up...
hmm.png

I really have no idea . she could be almost anything that has been suggested I guess. I do know that she is a heavy bird. It will be interesting to see how she reacts and moves when I finally let her out to free range. I'm hoping I haven't upset the chi too much in the hen house !!! I guess I'll know for sure if she lays me an easter egg !!

Last edited:
I have 2 blue Wyandottes that I got at the feed store, and at this point, they're are looking similar to yours. They're about 18 months old, and need a major molt. The feathers look a bit faded, much like yours.

I'll assume that since mine came from the feed store they were hatchery birds initially.

Post some pics after a good molt. I think you have a hatchery quality blue Wyandotte on your hands.

sorry to thread hijack but while on the subject of blue chickens, any idea what these two blues are? or are they simply a cross?

100_6503.jpg

Back
Top Bottom