The Heat Lamp and My Baby Chicks

No problem if u have anymore questions please ask :) I have isla browns too, and they both have quite the personality and love to explore hope to get eggs soon they're both 5 months old :)
That's awesome! There's one Isa Brown (I named her JoJo) who quite mischievous herself. If I stick my hand in there she will jump right into and then try to jump out. I believe she will be quite the escape artist when she gets older. She's definitely not afraid of humans. The others still run away. Lol

That's awesome! There's one Isa Brown (I named her JoJo) who quite mischievous herself. If I stick my hand in there she will jump right into and then try to jump out. I believe she will be quite the escape artist when she gets older. She's definitely not afraid of humans. The others still run away. Lol
Lol what a Lil devil XD

That tote is going to be an issue imo. They're going to out grow it real quick.
And like auroaSfarm said you need to keep the light on one end so you have a heated side and a cooler side. With totes that small its had to get a cool side. Raising the light will widen the heat spot so makes it more of a challenge. I use plug in dimmer switches. That way you can keep the light in one place and adjust the heat output by dimming it.
Be careful rigging the light up they are a fire hazzard if not careful.
I also think your room is too hot. They're young still but it won't be long they'll be overheating with no light and an 85° room.
Honestly I'd rethink your whole set up from the hot room to the easy bake brooder tote.
Attached is pic of dimmer we use.
And another side note. They're no brown leghorns in those pics.

download (1).jpg

And like auroaSfarm said you need to keep the light on one end so you have a heated side and a cooler side. With totes that small its had to get a cool side. Raising the light will widen the heat spot so makes it more of a challenge. I use plug in dimmer switches. That way you can keep the light in one place and adjust the heat output by dimming it.
I also think your room is too hot. They're young still but it won't be long they'll be overheating with no light and an 85° room.
Honestly I'd rethink your whole set up from the hot room to the easy bake brooder tote.

View attachment 1107355
Oh wow, that's what TSC said! I was honestly hoping for white leghorns, is that what they are? my step dad keeps his in a even smaller tote, but I'll definitely look into getting a bigger one. The heat lamp is checked hourly and it's secured well. But I will definitely take everything you said into consideration. Wouldn't they catch a draft if I had a ac or fan going?

View attachment 1107355
Sorry I forgot to mention that I did just move the heat lamp to the very end, until the situation can get sorted.

View attachment 1107355

Also I think the only reason why it's 86 right now is because the heat lamp is heating the room. Usually it's around 70-75.

No I just have these 8. We just moved into a farmhouse in July and I honestly was going to wait until next year, but we decided to get them a little sooner because money was right.

Do you have a coop ready for them? Since the weather is still quite warm, you may want to consider brooding them outside in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom