The Heat Lamp and My Baby Chicks

It's so funny that you say that! Lol we were just at lowes the other day and my boyfriend said the same thing! I never knew it was an actual thing! Aha

LOL A building may make it a little easier and faster, those chicks grow up extremely fast and you will want them out pretty quickly too - they are dusty and get stinky.

Since you aren't going to free range - a lot of us don't, a generous run is very important. Go for 10sq. ft. for each bird - more is better. Think about the future as well. Either have adequate space for the ones you have now and have a plan for expanding later on or build big.

Welcome to BYC. Any time you see a chick panting, you have a problem with overheating. Chicks are not able to regulate their body temp, so overheating can quickly become a crisis. At the apparent age of your chicks, IMO, you could lose the heat lamp completely. They would be fine with a wool hen or even a huddle box if you intend to keep them in that warm bedroom. And, the sooner you can get them moved out, the better. They will be fine outdoors in their coop/run by the time they are 4 weeks old, given the fact that it is summer.

I suggest that you and your BF look into the option of building a cattle panel coop. You could put one together in a weekend. When you build it, I suggest that you cover the whole thing with 1/2" hardware cloth. And you will need to put a skirt around it to make it predator proof. You can either bury the skirt, or you can lay it horizontally under the sod. If you decide to go with conventional construction at a later date, you could then repurpose the CP coop into a green house. I have a CP coop that I use as a brooder/grow out pen, and also made a CP green house. I can tell you that my birds absolutely love that CP coop. When ever they get the opportunity, if there are not birds living in it, they all go visit the CP coop, and just lounge around in it!

Many of us have found that brooding with a heating pad is much easier, safer, and more natural for the chicks. IMO, heating pad brooded chicks are friendlier, and are better socially adapted.

6-7 weeks is when u should let them out

Way too long. Depending where you live you can let them out around at three-four weeks with temps above 70f with no drafts.Ive had many broody hens/ducks and they stop sitting on them around week one.The more there exposed to cold elements the faster there feathers will grow.It would be pretty boring in a brooder for two months wouldn't it?

Way too long. Depending where you live you can let them out around at three-four weeks with temps above 70f with no drafts.Ive had many broody hens/ducks and they stop sitting on them around week one.The more there exposed to cold elements the faster there feathers will grow.It would be pretty boring in a brooder for two months wouldn't it?
Thanks for the tip in the spring in NYS its still winter lol, who knows the weather and I probably do let them out sooner I just was guessing around that time, good advice thanks! Also I was scared my older chickens would peck at the little ones.

You have gotten lots of good advice.

I am glad to see someone already suggested a lower wattage lightbulb to you. That will help you keep them cooler and keep the heat lamp from overheating the room.

For a larger brooder, you can use something as simple as a large cardboard box (think old appliance box). If you have a safe outdoor location for them (garage or shed that is not as warm and has lots of ventilation), consider laying paper down on the floor, then cutting open cardboard boxes and making a large circle out of the cardboard pieces. This method often gets too dirty for the house, although I have done it indoors.

As others have mentioned, they probably can go outside sooner rather than later. You may want to consider building essentially a large box for temporary housing while you build their permanent coop. Make sure its big enough to last them awhile! These coop building projects always seem to last longer than you think they will. ;)

Chicks can be brooded outdoors at hatch..just saying.
Yep, here's this year's flock, in the coop, at 3-8 days
20170401_074307.jpg
20170402_140307.jpg

next year's chicks will brood alongside the adults

image.jpg
I have some baby ducklings as well that I got today, and I was reading about setting up the brooder. I’ve enclosed a pic, I don’t have the heat lamp today, do you guys think that they would be okay here in my home until I can go get the heat lamp tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom