The Heat Lamp and My Baby Chicks

Sheeshabeesh

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2017
So its late in the season and i'm a little confused by the mixed views on how long I should keep the heat lamp on my chicks. Ive read multiple places to who say to keep the chicks under the lamp for 24hrs a day in no hotter than 100 degrees, then I was told because its later in the season, and that they are in my guest room (it can get 70-85 degrees in general) to do 3hr intervals to start getting them used to being in the cold. I'm not sure of their age as I got them fromTSC, but I've kept a themoter in their brooter and even at 90 some are panting. So right now since the room is at 87 degrees (and I'm closely monitoring them because it's trigger my anxiety) I turned off the lamp to let them cool down a bit. They seem content right now, not huddled at all, they fell asleep. I'm just wondering at this point if anyone has some advice. I am watching them closely and paying attention to their body language, but I also don't want to make them sick by turning the light on and off.

Hi there and welcome to BYC.
100 is too hot period.
Can you post a picture of your chicks and set up so we can get a better idea of their age.

How long have you had the chicks?

100 is too hot period.
Can you post a picture of your chicks and set up so we can get a better idea of their age.

We've had them since Tuesday.
100 is too hot period.

We got them on Tuesday. We had to put them in our guest room because our garage has a trash monkey and we can't figure out how he is getting in and our barn is way to drafty right now. So this is all we have to work with. I put the lamp up on a chair (it's tied in good) in attempt to cool them down. I also took a pick of my thermometer so you can see the temp of the room. They have been out of the lamp for about 15 mins.

Attachments

• IMG_4876.JPG
    IMG_4876.JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4877.JPG
    IMG_4877.JPG
    385.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4878.JPG
    IMG_4878.JPG
    481.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4879.JPG
    IMG_4879.JPG
    338.4 KB · Views: 20
Might I add that this is an upstairs bedroom and there is no air conditioner near by, so it gets really hot up here in general. But I'll do whatever I need to do to keep my little chickies happy.

They look about a week or 2, try them with the heat lamp higher above them don't get it too close and put the heat lamp on 1 side of the bin so they can find there right temp that they like :) so cute what kind are they?

They look about a week or 2, try them with the heat lamp higher above them don't get it too close and put the heat lamp on 1 side of the bin so they can find there right temp that they like :) so cute what kind are they?
We have 4 Isa Browns and 4 Brown Leghorns! I just want happy little chicks. I'm in search for something higher to safely cling the lamp onto right now. Any suggestions?

Zip ties and u know that stick on wall hanger? Maybe that or I don't know be creative :) might want a thermoniter u should decrease the heat by 5-10 every week

Back
Top Bottom